Brewing ideas you've stolen from the pros? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

I need to steal a brewing idea. I've recently started selling beans at a local farmers market and there seems a to be a big need for brewed coffee as well. I'm building a nice little 5 cone drip station for Hario V60s

I'll be using a Zojirushi CD-LTC50-BA for my hot water source and a Bonavita stovetop kettle for pouring. For the time being I'll be brewing directly into 10oz hot cups. I'm using my Baratza Preciso to grind one dose at a time, but am trying to get my brain around how to control the water. I can't use a scale under the drip station and not much use having one under the cup. Maybe I can use a scale under the Bonavida when I'm transferring water from the Zojirushi? The Zojirushi can maintain 208* water temp. Would I lose too much heat by only transferring one dose of water at a time? Or is it just a matter of practicing my pour technique precisely?

Almico

#12: Post by Almico »

Here's a pic of my drip station. Had some nice 4/4 cherry that needed a purpose:

endlesscycles

#13: Post by endlesscycles »

Almico wrote:I need to steal a brewing idea. I've recently started selling beans at a local farmers market and there seems a to be a big need for brewed coffee as well. I'm building a nice little 5 cone drip station for Hario V60s
...?
I'm not sure if your market is like mine, but I would strongly suggest the method I use to brew (and sell) 20gallons in four hours.
https://instagram.com/p/qWX-NfI6KC/
https://instagram.com/p/1VUjEdo6Pq/
https://instagram.com/p/3ThaX_o6L6/
https://instagram.com/p/15cn3wI6El/

Gallon at a time + preground 230g packets > Fetco basket > Luxus Urn. High turbulence pour followed by gentle stream from a pot on top with a dozen 1/16" holes drilled in it. I haven't had my coffee taste better by another method.

It's about a $800 "start up" cost. However, it's not worth the time of setting up if you can't do the volume this process allows... at least to my financial senses.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

earlgrey_44

#14: Post by earlgrey_44 »

endlesscycles wrote:Gallon at a time + preground 230g packets > Fetco basket > Luxus Urn. High turbulence pour followed by gentle stream from a pot on top with a dozen 1/16" holes drilled in it. I haven't had my coffee taste better by another method.

It's about a $800 "start up" cost. However, it's not worth the time of setting up if you can't do the volume this process allows... at least to my financial senses.
Looks like a great set-up, Marshall!
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Almico

#15: Post by Almico »

endlesscycles wrote:Gallon at a time + preground 230g packets > Fetco basket > Luxus Urn. High turbulence pour followed by gentle stream from a pot on top with a dozen 1/16" holes drilled in it. I haven't had my coffee taste better by another method.

Big thanks Marshall. That certainly sounds like a very efficient system.

Like I mentioned, I never wanted to brew coffee, so this is all coming as an eye-opener for me. I am more than willing to invest in a top notch brew system if I get bogged down and see it paying off. That would be a good thing. I'd love to see what your set up looks like. I can use all the tips I can get.

I learned last week that I can have a small generator, so for bean sales I'm not bring ground coffee any longer. I'm bringing my Grindmaster and people can grind their own fresh. The bags I use have a zipper so they can be opened and sealed right up again.

For brew I'm going with 4 5L airpots that I'm filling with cold brew before hand. I have 16oz plastic cups with lids and straws and a large cooler with ice. I'll fill the cup up with ice and let the customer fill it with coffee and add milk or whatever they like.

For hot brew I'm hoping I can keep up with the drip station. With 5 drippers going I can do 5 cups every 3 minutes, or 100 cups an hour once I get my moves down. Of course keeping that pace means my son has to take orders, money etc. It should be lots of fun trying this new gig out. I'm going to bring my 1.5L electric kettle to keep the Zojirushi topped off. My generator does 2100W so I should have enough power.

Tomorrow is the market so I'll update how everything went. Wish me luck!!

endlesscycles

#16: Post by endlesscycles »

Already having a generator is a great thing. I'll switch to a Fetco on a generator at some point for sure.... Just takes reconfiguring my whole set up and a few thousand dollars towards something I'm really only doing for fun. I'd actually prefer the focus removed from my kettle and fire, both my own and the customer's.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

TheJavaCup77

#17: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

I've been playing around with dry ice..

Placing cold brew and dry ice in a certain ratio inside a Thermos..

The dry ice sublimates quickly when hydrated so the CO2 converts from solid to gas.. and in the airtight chamber of a thermos... it carbonates the cold brew..

I've still yet to find a perfect ratio.. well.. least it's better than the whipping syphon (which has seen a ton of whipping cream, and i wouldn't put any of my brews in it)

All this after seeing bartender use dry ice to "smoke" up a drink..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

Almico

#18: Post by Almico »

All packed and ready to go. I had to leave the kitchen sink at home...just no room for it.

Bob_McBob

#19: Post by Bob_McBob »

coffeefanatic1 wrote:This might sound like a weird one, but i always brush and mouthwash my teeth at night, as my coffee first thing in the morning tastes soo different.
Am I the only person who doesn't understand why brushing your teeth at night is weird?
Chris

homeburrero
Team HB

#20: Post by homeburrero »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:the CO2 converts from solid to gas.. and in the airtight chamber of a thermos...
TheJavaCup77 wrote:I've still yet to find a perfect ratio..
Don't try this at home, kids. A bad ratio could turn your thermos into a dry ice bomb.

Here's the standard caution from a supplier:
AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH SKIN. BEFORE DRINKING COCKTAILS,
WAIT UNTIL DRY ICE FULLY SUBLIMATES OR REMOVE DRY ICE PIECES
BEFORE DRINKING. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN, MOUTH, EYES AND
CLOTHING. MAY CAUSE SEVERE FROSTBITE OR BURNS. IF EATEN OR
FROSTBITE OCCURS, SEEK MEDICAL HELP IMMEDIATELY. DRY ICE
MAKES CARBON DIOXIDE GAS AS IT SUBLIMATES (MELTS). DO NOT
PLACE DRY ICE IN AIR-TIGHT CONTAINERS AS THEY MAY EXPLODE.

ONLY USE DRY ICE IN OPEN OR WELL-VENTILATED AREAS, OTHERWISE
A LACK OF OXYGEN (SUFFOCATION) CAN OCCUR CAUSING SERIOUS
INJURY OR DEATH.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h