Brew ratios for brewed coffee? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 04, 2018, 9:26 am

Using my V60 glass P.O. finding that although the flow seems fast I prefer the taste of the coffee vs when I grind finer to achieve a flow as shown to be ideal. Measuring beans prior but don't have a refractor.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

CwD

Postby CwD » Dec 04, 2018, 11:53 am

I'm using a VST. Was using an Atago before that, works just as well, but not quite as nice to use.

I've also recently been doing some testing with an HM Digital COM-100 conductivity tds meter. If I dilute the coffee with 90ml distilled water, the PPM using .5 scale has matched decently close with the VST so far. It's pretty "fuzzy", so I wouldn't expect accuracy, but it MIGHT be a decent "close enough" measure of general strength for like $60 instead of $300.

Coffee&Bearclaws

Postby Coffee&Bearclaws » Dec 04, 2018, 7:55 pm

When I brew with my siphon or french press, I like a 1:12.5 ratio (80g/L)

I find with immersion style brewers brewing at lower ratios helps to bring out more flavor, and 1:12.5 is my sweet spot. This could be since immersion brewers aren't as efficient as pourovers when it comes to extraction they require higher ratios for a similarly extracted pourover. If my memory serves 1:16.667 (pourover) ~~ 1:14 (immersion).

Mbb

Postby Mbb » Dec 06, 2018, 10:54 pm

Depends on the coffee.
1:14 to 1:18

Capac

Postby Capac » Dec 07, 2018, 8:47 am

Depends on the coffee, but generally, around 60-65g/L or around 1:16.

That's for drip - some people might go a bit stonger for imersion.

RyanJE

Postby RyanJE » Dec 07, 2018, 10:26 am

CwD wrote:IMO brew ratio is an absolutely horrible way of expressing strength. I liked brewing my coffee on the somewhat stronger side at ~1.4-1.6% unless I'm working with a super delicate floral coffee. To get that before I was brewing around 1:15-1:16, to get that now I'm brewing more like 1:18-1:20. A target tds is more useful.

A TDS target doesn't really help though unless you tie in a brew ratio (and or EY%), right? We can achieve a 1.5% strength with a 1:18 ratio or a 1:13 ratio. They certainly wont taste the same. So TDS isn't as helpful if someone doesn't have a refractometer.

The best method for the masses is to ask what ratios their shops (or online roaster) uses. The only downside I could imagine to that is if they use an an EK for example and extract a 1:16 higher than one could get out of a Baratza Encore for example. I wonder why shops haven't gravitated back toward "golden cup" brew ratios closer to 1:18 since they can still get a high extraction and strength out of the EK43.

Also noted earlier, there is a difference if we are talking percolation or immersion...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

CwD

Postby CwD » Dec 07, 2018, 3:13 pm

A tds is going to be the best mark for "how strong do I like this coffee". Go for 1.3% tds with a mediocre grinder and like 1:16 or a great grinder at 1:20 and you'll have very different extraction yields, but similarly strong cups. And of similar quality relative to the grinder's ceiling. If you tried to match the 1:20 with the mediocre grinder you'd have extremely weak bitter coffee, and if you tried to match the 1:16 recipe with the great grinder you'd be leaving a lot of untapped potential in the coffee while also having it on the very strong side.

IMO there is absolutely no way of conveying how strong to make coffee that has any value without a way to measure the tds. Ratio doesn't communicate anything without also making sure every single other variable is in check.

RyanJE

Postby RyanJE » replying to CwD » Dec 07, 2018, 3:29 pm

Im not sure I agree. TDS means nothing to those without a refractometer to measure it. And even still, TDS means nothing without a brew ratio tied to it. If you were to tell someone "extract your coffee to a 1.5% TDS" what if they do that with a 1:20 ratio, or, a 1:10 ratio?? Therefore, brew ratio is a critical part of the recipe and will help give an idea of strength before the brewing process even begins.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

CwD

Postby CwD » Dec 07, 2018, 3:38 pm

If I tell you to extract to 1.5% tds, your grinder is what decides how good it can be at that tds. If they have a full on roller mill and can pull it off at 1:20, great. If they can only reach it through 1:10, that's what they're going to have to do. The brews will be different, but still have far more in common than doing the same ratio on both setups.

As for the refractometer bit, my point is that there is absolutely no meaningful way to convey strength without a device capable of measuring tds. I think there's imprecise ways to get close enough for general strength without a refractometer like some of the better conductivity meters, but I think a tool is a hard requirement if you want to share strength to someone with different methods and equipment.

Mbb

Postby Mbb » replying to CwD » Dec 08, 2018, 1:37 pm

Well, some are concerned with taste, not strength.
Strength is not taste. Taste.....changes....with strength. And despite what some guru might tell you with his electronic toys, there is no absolute "best" . Its personally subjective. Extracting to maximize good taste.....is art. Not science.

These toys only matter for shops looking to maximize profit by minimizing coffee use. That does not mean they brew the best coffee. In fact, ive never had any as good at a shop as i brew at home.