Breville Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
luisguilherme

#1: Post by luisguilherme »

I've got a Breville Brewer recently (as a birthday gift from my wife).

They give a few basket paper filters out, which I won't use. (I make coffee for my wife and I, and for my mother when she comes to visit; never had to do more than 5 cups at once).

But even the cone is large-y. My #2 V60 paper filter doesn't fit very well (the cone bottom is semi-flat, so I think it's more suited to Kalita or melitta filters). Which paper do you use?

My version has a ring in the bottom that does not seem to be present in other versions. I found that a V60 cone fits perfectly there, and it made good coffee. Anyone else doing this hack? Is that intended (found nothing in the manual)? It's *not* the pour over adapter (if I use the "pour over" method, ir won't work, water will spill everywhere).

MikeTheBlueCow

#2: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I bought #4 wedge style filters (melitta, filtropa, etc) for the cone insert.

As for your pour over adapter not brewing correctly, there is a setting you have to change when using it. Though if your current v60 workaround isn't giving you a problem, then i suppose there is no need to bother with the adapter. My v60 does not fit well like yours does.

luisguilherme (original poster)

#3: Post by luisguilherme (original poster) »

I didn't explain myself well. I don't have the pour over adapter. I noticed that the V60 fit, set the mode in the machine for pour over, and water was everywhere. Then I moved the mode to normal and it worked.

luisguilherme (original poster)

#4: Post by luisguilherme (original poster) »

I bought Cafec #102, but I'm afraid it will be too small. I'll try the Filtropa. should I go with it or the kalita 103?

realbrotherjay

#5: Post by realbrotherjay »

I usually use either the Melitta #4 filters or the generic unbleached equivalent and have no problems. I stick with 50g of coffee to 833 of water unless I'm using something more developed than my typical medium-light/light roasts, and that yields two 12oz cups of coffee with a bit left over for a top up. If I were doing single cups on that machine I'd probably explore a different option, be that your workaround or getting the actual pour over adapter, but I wind up just making a pour over by hand when only one of us wants coffee.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

That's the first time I've heard 102 in years. That's a very unusual size. Most everything today uses the standard #4 you can get on the shelf at every grocery store in the country. Only the weird coffee stuff or single serve uses anything else.

Ira