Bonavita kettle temperature error

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Nate42

#1: Post by Nate42 »

Has anybody had any trouble with the temperature accuracy of their bonavita kettles, and if so know any tricks to potentially fix it? Sometimes my kettle works fine, but other times I get significant temperature errors, typically reading 20-30 degrees too low. When this happens the heating element remains full on, and since it can't reach its setpoint it boils violently until you notice it and manually turn it off. Any ideas?

bytheway

#2: Post by bytheway »

I've had two Brewista kettles do this...one was in warranty and was replaced...the other I just deal with...sometimes rotating the kettle works, seems to be a contact problem so maybe cleaning the contacts but I haven't tried that

Advertisement
Nate42 (original poster)

#3: Post by Nate42 (original poster) »

seems to be behaving better now. I think it may have had some water trapped somewhere it didn't belong in the base. If it starts misbehaving again I will likely just replace it. New "interurban" model looks interesting ...
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV07003 ... 113&sr=8-3

rcs914

#4: Post by rcs914 »

The new models look great, but sooo much more expensive compared to the $45 the 1L currently costs.

curmudgeon

#5: Post by curmudgeon »

My third Bonavita kettle just bit the dust this morning - it's the 1.7l gooseneck. I first had this problem with the 1l gooseneck probably 5-6 years ago, and Bonavita customer service acted like I was crazy, saying they've never seen this issue before (despite me sending video of the behavior). My wife got me the 1.7l gooseneck for my birthday that year, so I dropped the issue with customer service.

Fast forward a few months from then, and the new kettle exhibited the same behavior. I complained again; this was within the warranty window, so it was replaced. Now, a few years later, the replacement is kaput as well. It wouldn't heat at all this morning. I'm done with Bonavita kettles at this point.