Blooming in separate area - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#11: Post by Acavia »

You could use a Hario Immersion Switch to do this. It is a glass V60 02 with a ball bearing switch. It uses normal V60 filters. The ball bearing switch just closes the flow so you can do an immersion brew like Clever.

Using it for a full immersion can only do ~200ml brew but the switch and V60 separate so you could put a 03 V60 on it for bigger brews - I think it would fit. Many brewing choices with it: Do one 200 ml immersion. You could do multiple pours and release the switch then set it again for each pour - like a pulse immersion.

Or you could have it shut for bloom only to do what this thread is discussing.

I have not bought one yet but researching it there are not many retailers who sell them Japan Kurasu sells them and ships worldwide. If one is in USA, Hario USA will sell these. I was quoted a price of $40 includes shipping from Hario USA.

https://www.hario.jp/seihin/productdeta ... =SSD-200-B

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrWPqfOGEE

DamianWarS (original poster)

#12: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:You could use a Hario Immersion Switch to do this. It is a glass V60 02 with a ball bearing switch. It uses normal V60 filters. The ball bearing switch just closes the flow so you can do an immersion brew like Clever.

Using it for a full immersion can only do ~200ml brew but the switch and V60 separate so you could put a 03 V60 on it for bigger brews - I think it would fit. Many brewing choices with it: Do one 200 ml immersion. You could do multiple pours and release the switch then set it again for each pour - like a pulse immersion.

Or you could have it shut for bloom only to do what this thread is discussing.

I have not bought one yet but researching it there are not many retailers who sell them Japan Kurasu sells them and ships worldwide. If one is in USA, Hario USA will sell these. I was quoted a price of $40 includes shipping from Hario USA.

https://www.hario.jp/seihin/productdeta ... =SSD-200-B

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrWPqfOGEE
Where I live the switch is expensive for what you get (about $50 USD) but it is available, where the clever is only about $20 USD. Since hario brewers are completely cone shape the filter hangs out of the bottom a little ways and I would think the switch would have to compensate and have a void which would act as a small post-filter reservoir. Conversely The clever is based off the Melitta flat bottom shell shape design so there is no tip of the filter hanging outside of a large hole at the bottom which means less of a void and more control over the water you're immersing. In this case I would think the Clever might be the better brewer than the Switch just from their innate design elements, not to mention it's cheaper.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

With the Clever, there's actually a fairly large area under the filter that collects coffee. I'd be tempted by a glass Hario switch over a plastic Clever, but that's just preference. I've also had some issues with the plastic crazing on my Clever and I've had to tilt it a bit to get all the coffee to drain in some cases. The December Dripper is another alternative, though I don't use it much, it's a Kalita-like design made from stainless steel with a shutoff and doesn't add a reservoir below the filter. The filters are more expensive, I believe.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#14: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

yakster wrote:With the Clever, there's actually a fairly large area under the filter that collects coffee. I'd be tempted by a glass Hario switch over a plastic Clever, but that's just preference. I've also had some issues with the plastic crazing on my Clever and I've had to tilt it a bit to get all the coffee to drain in some cases. The December Dripper is another alternative, though I don't use it much, it's a Kalita-like design made from stainless steel with a shut off and doesn't add a reservoir below the filter. The filters are more expensive, I believe.
the clever right is cheaper but maybe once the switch gets more popular and the price goes down I'll pick it up. I would actually just like the "switch" part of the switch, cause the last thing I need is more Hario Brewers. I remember Scott Rao saying in one of his blogs somewhere that he would pick a clever brew over a pour-over because in his experience it's extremely rare to get a really good pour-over. His rationale is although pour-overs can be better typically they aren't and it's hard to be consistent with them whereas some sort of immersion dripper like the clever (I'm sure the switch, December dripper, etc... are included as well) you can still produce good results but with more consistently. To be honest I'm not sure I would like to be a barista in a scenario serving Scott Rao a pour-over brew (or a clever).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

Yeah, I tend to listen to the folks on Home-Barista over Scott Rao, Matt Perger, or even James Hoffmann because of the differences between serving coffee in a cafe and making coffee for yourself.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#16: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to yakster »

I agree, at least for Rao/Perger their advice is geared for a commercial environment where things like repeatability and time matter. They may suggests methods that simply are less ambitious becuase they are too hard to manage in a cafe setting with a team of baristas. One thing I do agree with Raw on is generally speaking I can make a better pour over than cafes I go to. Too often at a cafe I am ask "why did I pay for this?"