Blooming French Press - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RyanJE

#11: Post by RyanJE »

Dkpack99 wrote:One question, it says read a newspaper for five minutes... what's a newspaper? :lol:

What is a newspaper? :D
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

MntnMan62 (original poster)

#12: Post by MntnMan62 (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:There is a trend in French Press brewing to essentially brew the same way one would brew bowls of coffee for cupping (Why isn't it called "bowling?" :D - with apologies to Tom@Sweet Maria's )

Here's a really detailed breakdown. You'll see some similarities with what you are doing, plus some additional steps that might give you a cup that you might like more. I suggest that you try it!
video
I appreciate you posting this video. I've watched it several times and have incorporated much of what he is doing into my own approach. I'd say the only thing I am not doing that he does is I do not stir the grounds after they have brewed for 4 minutes. I just scoop the crust off without doing a stir.

#13: Post by MntnMan62 (original poster) »

So, today I made three changes to the routine. First, I did not bloom. I just poured all of the water into the carafe at once. I did not swirl the grounds after pouring the water in but did stir the grounds after the 4 minutes and before scooping off whatever remained floating on top. Then let it sit for 5 more minutes. I have to say the coffee in the cup was pretty darn good. Tomorrow I'll swirl the grounds after pouring the water and then stir again after the 4 minutes and see if I notice any difference. At this point though I'm willing to admit that maybe blooming isn't having any impact on making coffee in a french press.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

I like to add some of the brew water to the press first before dumping in the coffee which helps avoid dry grounds at the bottom. I then add the rest of the brew water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#15: Post by MntnMan62 (original poster) replying to yakster »

Yep. Swirling the grounds with the brew water should address that issue. I've never noticed any issues with saturation of all of the grounds. I should add that I use a large press, 8 cups, yet I am typically only making 2 cups for myself so there is lots of room for the water and grounds to co-mingle. Good suggestion though.