Bialetti Venus 6 cup stove top help

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
offtheradar

#1: Post by offtheradar »

Hi,

Is anyone else here using a Bialetti Venus 6 cup stove top? I had to switch to an induction model because I moved and to an apartment with a new cook top and the old aluminium one wouldn't work.

How do you know when to take the Bialetti off the element before the bottom chamber dries out? The top part seems twice as big as the amount of water you put in.

Do you use the highest heat setting or medium?

I don't seem to be getting very good results but I have only used it a few times.

maccompatible

#2: Post by maccompatible »

I've never used the induction model, but I assume it works on the same principles as the standard. It's somewhat up to you when to take it off the heat. Some people stop when the stream turns a light color, while others allow all the water to pass through and take it off when the pot starts to hiss. Either way, it's good to cool off the base with running water or a wet towel when you take it off the heat to end the extraction on the spot. But many don't and say it still tastes fine.
As for the temperature, again, it's somewhat up to you. Higher temperatures will most likely create more steam pressure and a faster extraction, and vice versa. Most of what I've read recommends a medium heat.

You'll just have to experiment and find what works for your stovetop/coffee/taste preference.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

I used to have one and it made good moka coffee.

I never used high heat. I would begin with medium and then move it to low on the first gurgle that came north into the chamber. I would monitor it and pull it from the heat when the spurts were minimal. Worked fine.
-----
LMWDP #339

offtheradar (original poster)

#4: Post by offtheradar (original poster) »

Thanks for the tips. The instructions said take it off the heat when the top of the coffeepot is full, which would never happen, so I'll remove it when the it starts hissing and see how it is.

taildraggin

#5: Post by taildraggin »

I have one on a gas stove and can't match what I get from an original aluminum one. It seems that there is a different technique. The low-heat method could be it, as the stainless does seems to work even hotter than the aluminum, for some reason.

With a good grind and beans, the aluminum (2 shot) I have can produce wonderful coffee (chopping heat at half full).

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

FWIW an aluminum Bialetti can be made to work on an induction range. Just put it in one of your induction-compatible pots or pans. I do that with my Bialetti on an induction range and it works fine.

You might try adapting the conventional moka pot technique and see how it works. Generally people stop brewing about halfway up the upper bowl.

The secrets of the moka pot - How to video
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Huli

#7: Post by Huli »

I love my Bialetti Moka Pot (Aluminum one .... I have a stainless steel one too but Aluminum I like better).

These are the steps I follow.

1. Fill cold water just below the safety valve in the bottom chamber
2. Put the bottom chamber with out assembling the coffee basket or the top chamber on the stove top over medium heat or making sure that the flame just touches the edges of the bottom chamber
3. Let the water come to boil, remove it from the stove top and insert the coffee basket, screw the top chamber tight.
4. Put the moka pot back on the stove top over low to medium heat
5. Removed from stove top when you see mostly steam and air exiting out of the nozzle.

The reason I don't assemble the moka pot until the water boils is, it appears that the coffee burns and does not taste as good, but that could just be my feeling ... :).

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Sending boiling water and steam through coffee grounds is what gives it a burned taste. There are two reasons that coffee can taste burned with the method just given. If you let it brew until mostly steam and air are exiting the nozzle, it is already being exposed to boiling water and brewing too hot. Also, if you don't stop the brewing at the end by immersing the bottom in water or cooling it with a wet rag, any water that is boiling will continue to move through the coffee grounds.

Also there is another misunderstanding. Pre-heating the water before putting it in the bottom of the pot makes no difference because you are screwing the top on. By the time you have done that the water in the bottom chamber isn't boiling and there is also not enough pressure build-up to send hot water through the coffee grounds.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

goramsey

#9: Post by goramsey »

I love my Bialetti Venus 6 cup. Works great. I posted my comments about this method plus a video if you are interested. http://www.ramseystravels.com/

I read so many things on the best way to do this and that. I don't know but this works for me just fine. I turn people on to all three methods and bingo another lover of coffee. I am a fan of big, bold, rich flavors and this is one method that pulls out some fantastic flavors. I mean you don't need sugar, cream, it tastes so good.
Left turn.