Best Way to Remove Grounds from French Press? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jpender

#11: Post by jpender »

Is there a part 2 to that video where they show you how to clean your mesh strainer? :-)

I used to use two plastic yogurt containers. I drilled a bunch of small holes in the bottom of one to use as a strainer. I'd add water to the press, swirl it and pour the slurry into the plastic container, and then let it drain in the sink. Then after it sat for a while I'd store it with it's lid on fitted into the other container of the same type under the sink. When it got full of grounds I'd take it downstairs and dump it into the compost bin. After a few cycles it would get really gross and mold would grow and I'd make a new one.

Screw that. I don't want do that anymore.

Mitchoffee

#12: Post by Mitchoffee »

Jeff wrote:Check The It's American Press, as I recall the name. James Hoffman reviewed it and provided his opinion of its salability.

Even resolving the clean-up challenges probably isn't enough to entice me back to unfiltered, immersion brewing. Clever Dripper solved that and the fines problem for me years ago. Add a mesh basket of your choice if you prefer that flavor profile.
I hadn't heard of It's American Press. I will have to check that out. I have used the Clever Dripper before, too. It is a great option, especially for one or two cups, and it brews such a clean cup. I still prefer French most of the time though

Mitchoffee

#13: Post by Mitchoffee »

DamianWarS wrote:try the "french pull"
video
Not a bad way around it!

Mitchoffee

#14: Post by Mitchoffee »

DamianWarS wrote:I actually do what I call a "no-press" french press. basically like the cupping method of brewing where you let the grinds sink to the bottom then decant it out. Hoffmann has a good video for this

you could probably do a similar method for the reverse. i guess a "no-pull" french pull.
  1. put the filter in and press down
  2. add coffee/water
  3. do a quick stir
  4. brew for 4 min or so
  5. do another stir (this will stop the brew and most grinds will sink)
  6. try and skim the surface for floaters (might be hard with the rod in the way)
  7. wait 5 min for all coffee to settle
  8. decant into mug (slowly pour)
  9. when cool decant the excess liquid into the sink
  10. now pull the filter out over the garbage
  11. rinse the rest and your down
this would solve the burn hazard you point out since you let it cool and if you pull it over the garbage then the mess goes to the right place.
I am going to try this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mitchoffee

#15: Post by Mitchoffee »

Randy G. wrote:There was a form fitting device that was called "The French Kiss" I think. It was a silicone "cup" with magnets imbedded in the top perimeter. When you pressed the plunger in the grounds were compressed into this device and when you pulled the plunger assembly out of the vessel the device was held onto the bottom of the press screen by magnetism.

With the Espro Press, after the pouring of the last cup completes, I keep the press in the pour position and "pump' out most of the remaining liquid by alternately pulling then pushing the plunger which, because of the design of the Espro, pumps out most of the remaining liquid. I then use a paper towel to wipe the grounds out right into the waste receptacle.

But generally, every form of enjoyment seems to have some sort of cleanup afterwards. It's not always pleasant, but that doesn't stop us from enjoying. :wink:
I have been looking for a device like "The French Kiss" for a long time. It took some effort to even find a video of it so I assume it is no longer available. I wonder why?

Do you like the Espro? I have been looking into that and the SimpliPress. They seem similar but I have not used either before.

I agree that you have to put in work to clean up after a good cup of coffee, and I don't mind it. I just also want to increase the ratio of enjoyment to cleaning :wink:

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by pizzaman383 »

Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Randy G.

#17: Post by Randy G. »

Mitchoffee wrote:Do you like the Espro? I have been looking into that and the SimpliPress. They seem similar but I have not used either before.
I stand by my comments made years ago, the coffee from an Espro Press makes the 'traditional' French press design obsolete. I actually wrote their first 'official review' when they started out. Basically, taste the coffee, not the grounds.' Check my website for reviews of them.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

DamianWarS

#18: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Randy G. »

does the espro press use standard carafe sizes of typical french presses? The reason I ask is it's a shame they don't just sell the plunger so you can "upgrade" your existing french press since we all don't need another tall glass carafe on our shelf.

Hovi

#19: Post by Hovi »

French Press is definitely my favorite brew method but had gotten away from it mostly because it was a bit messy, and I was using a pretty active brew method as well.

Might try out this alternate method though!

beanman

#20: Post by beanman »

I use a spatula to get most of the grounds into the trash, and rinse the screen.
Then I fill it ~ 1/3 full, add bit of soap, and rapidly plunge up and down several times. Foams really good.
Empty, and rinse thoroughly.
Overall, pretty quick and clean.