Best way to re-create my coffee shop's pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jasonmolinari

Postby jasonmolinari » Dec 06, 2018, 6:14 pm

I've always been an espresso fanatic....drip and other methods were always secondary to espresso, as i felt they were inferior.

That all changed when i tried 3 different chemex pourovers at my local shop here. They changed everything i had believed about pourover. The flavors from the Mexican coffee, the ethiopian coffee and the blend (drunk separately on differnet days) were so intense, so clear and focused it blew my mind. The peach in the ethiopian was obvious and evident. The roasted/ burnt marshmallow in the mexican smacked me in the face. Honestly for the first time i think i understand why some people love pour over.

The shop grinds with a large malkhonig Guatemala lab grinder, which i clearly do not have at home. I have a Vario and a Mazzer mini.

Anyhow, i'm trying to recreate that as best as i can, without spending a boatload of money. I'm ok with manual grind solutions, in fact, that might be preferred if it's a way to get to this level of clarity and taste without forking out for a Guatemala.

I don't have a set budget really...im thinking i could sell the Mini, and add some additional money to get something.
My brewers are a pourover cone, a Brazen and a clever.

Any thoughts or idea as to how to approach what i've drunk at the shop, and what has now ruined me for pourover?

help!

jjk232

Postby jjk232 » Dec 06, 2018, 6:24 pm

Get Steel burrs for the vario. It will greatly improve your brewing grind quality

soadasopa

Postby soadasopa » Dec 06, 2018, 7:20 pm

One hugely cost-saving measure I would recommend is having them grind the coffees you enjoy and then taking them home to compare against your grinder.

Make sure you are as blind as possible to which is which.

A second recommendation is try getting a gallon of their water and doing the same.

If these two lead nowhere, consider the glassware, the environment of the cafe, or how you're feeling (for example, I've found I taste coffee better later in the day when I'm better hydrated and have eaten).

There are so many things that affect flavor and lucky for us not all of them cost money.

jasonmolinari

Postby jasonmolinari » Dec 06, 2018, 7:48 pm

I've considered the suggestion of the steel vario burrs, but then i'd be back to using the Mazzer as my espresso grinder, which is 90+ % of my consumption....

Interesting idea on having them grind some of the coffee. I might do that as an experiment.

johnny4lsu

Postby johnny4lsu » Dec 07, 2018, 7:15 pm

Vario with steel burrs is the ticket. Deliciousness

aecletec

Postby aecletec » Dec 07, 2018, 8:54 pm

You could ask SSP if there's any plans to release a brew burr in 58mm - I have the 64mm and put into an ancient gifted SJ... they're fantastic.

jasonmolinari

Postby jasonmolinari » Dec 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Interesting...sorry but who is SSP? i'd be happy to contact them

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Dec 10, 2018, 2:11 pm

http://www.sspgrind.com

I believe they are a South Korean company. Seems to be direct to consumer. Many of us has experience with them. Seems like English is his second language. Your patience, kindness, charitability and inquisitiveness will be rewarded. Good luck.

redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 10, 2018, 9:12 pm

aecletec wrote:You could ask SSP if there's any plans to release a brew burr in 58mm - I have the 64mm and put into an ancient gifted SJ... they're fantastic.

See here for SSP 58mm link. 58mm SSP burrs for F4E, Mazzer Mini, etc.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

aecletec

Postby aecletec » replying to redbone » Yesterday, 12:41 am

Is that not an espresso burr?