Best Steeping Brewer and Brew Technique

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

Steeping coffee is the oldest method of preparing coffee, with Turkish coffee, cupping coffee with a spoon, and french press being the established entries.

There really isn't much point in arguing whether steeping or pourover methods are better. Pourover brews are clear and clean; but have reduced oils. Also the mechanics of percolating adds a layer of complexity: a recipe for (e.g.) four cups doesn't scale up or down, since the pourover time is increased or reduced, requiring a change of grind as well. For steeping, I can use the same grind, coffee/water ratio, and steeping time for 1 or a 100 cups; so the method is idiot proof. But the brew is cloudy and has particulates. On the other hand, it has all the oils. In the end, people will simply prefer one or the other.

But it is worth arguing which steeping method is best. Turkish coffee, with its very fine grind and short brewing time, is out on its own. On the coarse grind, slow steep side, we have had new devices like the Eve Solo, more refined French Presses, and the Sowdon Soft Brewer. We also have devices like the Clever Dripper, which can do a part steep and part percolation brewing. Finally we have had technical imporvements, like Dave's (Cannofodder's) French Pull technique, which avoids squeezing out the overextracted liquids in the crust when you push down.

So list you favorite steeping devices and methods here:
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

My personal vote (at least for now) goes to the Sowdon Softbrewer. This is, in essence, the right gear for doing Dave's French Pull, since there is a micro-mesh basket in which the coffee brews and which is lifted out at the end of the brew time -- this less messy than lifting out the plunger on an FP.

As to method: I use a standard grind for four minute steeping. I do not stir except during the initial pour, since I want the classic crust of coffee to form at the top of the brew basket.
Jim Schulman

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

While I like my Hario Cafe'presso my favorite press pot style "steeped brew" is made using a Finum coffee/tea filter & a travel mug.

Just set one of these

in your travel mug, add grounds, pour the hot water in through the filter, steep for 3-4 minutes, lift out the filter & enjoy.

As far as overall favorite brewing method goes that would be my Hario 3c & 5c syphon brewers with cloth filters. This is how I start my coffee day every morning before switching to espresso after breakfast.
LMWDP 267

oktyone

#4: Post by oktyone »

Just for curiosity's sake check this video on a new korean ceramic drip cone i found by accident, seems to be designed to drain ultra-fast, allowing it to be used as an alternative to a Clever, by steeping separately and then filtering the coffee slurry through the cone, possibly avoiding drain-slowdowns experienced commonly on the Clever..

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Since my favorite brewer often seems to be the most recent one I purchased, for argument's sake I'll say that the Impress Coffee Brewer fills the bill. It's a travel cup with a fine mesh metal filter screwed into an inner sleeve that pushes the grounds out of the way and allows you to drink the coffee. The resulting coffee has great body and flavor, and the sediment is minimal. I haven't noticed the coffee getting more bitter in the cup while drinking it over long periods of time and I love being able to make a cup on the way out the door to have a cup of hot coffee to take with me.

The only real drawback for me is that the coffee is very hot when brewed and stays quite hot for a long while. Pouring the coffee off into another cup would solve this, but defeat the travel brewer niche. I've managed to workaround this by watching my brew water temperatures going in and letting the coffee cool.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rama

#6: Post by rama »

The Sowdon Softbrewer looks interesting- similar to my favorite tea brewing method (I lift the filter to finish rather than press) but the filter looks like it may take up more of the volume allowing for more even diffusion.

Of the methods I've tried for brewed coffee, the Clever Dripper is still my go-to. Super simple, easy to clean, reproducible results, sediment free.

Syphon (not cloth/paper filter) would be my runner up, in part because it allows for more oils but very little sediment. However I don't find it practical for daily use given its fragility and clean up effort. Its more a weekend only brewer or when I need a bigger batch size than a pair of Clevers while entertaining.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

rama wrote:Syphon (not cloth/paper filter) would be my runner up, in part because it allows for more oils but very little sediment. However I don't find it practical for daily use given its fragility and clean up effort. Its more a weekend only brewer or when I need a bigger batch size than a pair of Clevers while entertaining.
+1, I brewed up an 8 cup pot of Kona this morning in my Yama 8 syphon with the Pyrex Lox-In glass rod. It was quite good, but a bit more work to clean-up. I used to brew with the syphon every weekend, but the BraZen has made it too easy to brew a good pot of coffee and relegated the syphon to more occasional use.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob »

I've been wanting to try the Sowden Softbrew for quite a while. I really like the Eva Solo I got late last year, but I am a sucker for different brewing methods. I gather the "cup" measurement Sowden uses is not the standard 120 ml tasse à café. The "2 cup" brewer is supposed to hold 400 ml. I almost invariably brew individual mugs, so I guess that is the size I want.

Jim, do you typically lift the filter out of the Softbrew at the end of brewing? The manufacturer seems to intend it to be used like the Eva Solo, pouring the coffee out with the filter in place. I guess you have the benefit of being able to use either method with the Softbrew.
Chris

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

This thing looks neat. It was easier to find for sale via Google than anything on the manufactures website. But I have to ask myself "do I really think I need one more method of coffee preparation?" And the answer is; no, not now. I'm not going to reach coffee "nirvana" with one more proprietary brew method. I've got enough equipment cluttering up my place. Maybe if I downsized a bit, but for now, I'm not building any more coffee museum exhibits.

I'm not knocking the product at all, I couldn't, I've never used it. It's probably awesome and simple. But if a handful of pour over devices, a siphon, a Brazen, a Technivorm, 3 french presses, an aeropress,etc aren't enough, then I'm not sure what is.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

donnedonne

#10: Post by donnedonne »

"Long" steep (~6 minutes), scoop crust, filter through cloth.
Prefer drip overall though.