Best Grinder Setting for V60 Pour Over Brewing?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
daltonmoody

#1: Post by daltonmoody »

Hello, my name is Dal Moody. I use a Baratza Forte-BG grinder for my pour over brewing. It is set at 7D. I am wondering what setting other Forte-BG users use? I use a V60 brewer with 26 grams of coffee. Thanks.

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS » replying to daltonmoody »

I have a Vario and I would consider 7D to be a little coarse. For V60s I'm in the 4M range, but what kind of pour-over are you doing as some are better with coarser grounds.

Jeff

#3: Post by Jeff »

A tiny bit coarser than when astringency starts to appear in the finish. I find it varies a bit by coffee and roast.

https://baratza.com/grinding-tips/ suggests 4M / 5M for their steel / ceramic flat-burr grinders.

daltonmoody

#4: Post by daltonmoody »

Andrew, I'm making a single cup pour over with the V60 (26 gr) using Costa Rica La Minita Tarraza coffee roasted medium, agtron color 65, roast drop temp 408 F.

DamianWarS

#5: Post by DamianWarS » replying to daltonmoody »

that's a fairly light roast and I would try and grind finer. as Jeff suggests keep going until its astringent then go up a touch coarser where the astringency is not present. in this you establish the extraction ceiling before negative flavours are present.

what water/coffee ratio are you use? how fast is your the total brew? whats your impression of the cup?

daltonmoody

#6: Post by daltonmoody »

Coffee Extraction dated 5/23/2020. V60 Forte-BG setting 7D. Brew Temp 203F. Brew time 3:14. 26.5 gram coffee. 425 grams water. Brewed coffee wt - 367 gr. TDS: 1.47, 1.57, 1.58. Extraction: 20.36%, 21.74%.

Here is a curve ball for you to consider. Mostly I batch brew using a Bunn Pour Over Batch Brewer. Coffe Extraction dated 8/30/2020. Forte-BG setting 7D. Brew temp 200F. Brew time 2:39. 35.8 grams of coffee. 572 grams water. Brewed coffee wt 509 grams. TDS: 1.49, 1.54, 1.37. Extraction: 21.18%, 19.48%.

I had better extraction results using the V60 pour over with a grinder setting of 7P. Ideal balance.

DamianWarS

#7: Post by DamianWarS » replying to daltonmoody »

you seem to have all the data. How are you measuring extraction? SCA says the gold standard is 1.15-1.35% TDS and 18-22% extraction but that data is based on 60-year-old studies nor does it factor the interstitial fluid which decreases total TDS and increase total extraction up to a full percent. Decreasing TDS is as simple as adding a bit of water to it but increasing typically means a larger dose or a finer grind but heat and a blooming technique are important as well. The goal is to get as high as extraction as possible without unpleasant astringency so if you have a VST then I would take advantage of it and grind finer and finer until you hit that extraction ceiling then you know what you're own gold standard is.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane »

Use less water. We like 25/375. 3:30 draw down. Coarse sand grind. I'll have to remember the astringent tip on grinding. thanks

culturesub

#9: Post by culturesub » replying to mkane »

Disagree- go finer and use more water! I go SUPER fine and am mostly doing 25/500 right now

mkane
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mkane »

15:1 vs 20:1. Heck, my wife likes 10:1