Bell Syphon Coffee - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
rmongiovi

#21: Post by rmongiovi »

I'm not sure how it can approach the ease of wrapping the grounds up in the filter paper and chucking them in the trash, but what I was thinking about was that cleaning inside those tubes seems like it would require a bottle brush or a pipe cleaner....

DamianWarS

#22: Post by DamianWarS »

Nunas wrote:I don't think there's any point in doing this. The whole idea of this coffee maker is that one puts in most of the water and the grounds and nothing comes out. You get to let it steep for as long as you like. Then, when you want to start the flow, you just add a bit more water until the centre post is submerged and voila...all the water comes out by siphon action! It's really quite ingenious. So if all you want to do is set up a slow flow then you might as well just have an ordinary container with a needle valve at the bottom.

That said, if I've misunderstood what you want, I can think of two modifications to this thing that might do what you want. The easiest would be to block the bottom of the central tube, then drill out a tiny hole. That would slow the flow and allow the flow. Fancier, if you could find a small needle valve, you could perhaps solder it onto the bottom of the tube and have an adjustable flow. Either way, there would be no flow until you add the last few drops of water to submerge the top of the centre post.
There's an innumerable amount of coffee methods out there and their advantage to another method may not be all that clear and some what controversial but I think part of it is searching for nuanced systems always chasing the best experience and methods that allow a lot of creativity tend to be more favoured.

The flow of the current model creates a suction and if that suction is too great there will be more agitation and possibly migrate unwanted fines in the cup. If you decrease the flow the suction force will be less possibly with a product of a cleaner cup. This might be important for a cold brew as well.

Sure you can just let it sit in there for as long as you want then top it off to activate the suction but you could also just use a French press and not bother with this bell syphon at all because what really is the difference? Such is not the culture of people who frequent forums like these and if there is a way to make it different people want to explore it, without values like that we wouldn't have the aeropress. Some people like a slow drip with cold brew and that's just how it is rather then just letting it sit there for hours.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by baldheadracing »

DamianWarS wrote:...
Sure you can just let it sit in there for as long as you want then top it off to activate the suction but you could also just use a French press and not bother with this bell syphon at all because what really is the difference? Such is not the culture of people who frequent forums like these and if there is a way to make it different people want to explore it, without values like that we wouldn't have the aeropress. Some people like a slow drip with cold brew and that's just how it is rather then just letting it sit there for hours.
This device offers cake filtration, which the French Press can't do. Some people (me :mrgreen:) prefer cake filtration methods, whether immersion like syphons/Aeropress, or pourover like V60.

(My favourite coffee-making method is the usual syphon, a.k.a. vac-pot, with a Diguo metal filter. However, this could be because the slurry temperature can be controlled with the burner. Regardless, I can't be bothered with the prep/clean-up of all that glass 99% of the time, so this device interests me :D.)

ETA: eBay sent me another $5 coupon, so I bought the size currently available - I think it is the medium size. Delivery predicted for August!
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

DanN

#24: Post by DanN »

I bet you will like it ....just a very slow center pour during preinfusion helps a lot and you are correct ...the cake filtration helps..

DamianWarS

#25: Post by DamianWarS »

baldheadracing wrote:This device offers cake filtration, which the French Press can't do. Some people (me :mrgreen:) prefer cake filtration methods, whether immersion like syphons/Aeropress, or pourover like V60.

(My favourite coffee-making method is the usual syphon, a.k.a. vac-pot, with a Diguo metal filter. However, this could be because the slurry temperature can be controlled with the burner. Regardless, I can't be bothered with the prep/clean-up of all that glass 99% of the time, so this device interests me :D.)

ETA: eBay sent me another $5 coupon, so I bought the size currently available - I think it is the medium size. Delivery predicted for August!
I know, forgive me for being facetious. I'm just advocating that a limiter to a slow drip may be an important distinction to someone else.

kjarsheim

#26: Post by kjarsheim »

Got one of these about a month ago, already have a few (cough, cough) other methods from espresso to french press. love it and wanted to say thanks for the preinfusion tip.
Messed about with centre-punched aeropress paper filters but now I've got it more or less dialled in to a taste i like and just enjoy the coffee, its a nice, low fuss way to make a darn good coffee....will be after the larger version too, always seem to be wanting a bit more....

mtv2004

#27: Post by mtv2004 »

I got question:
1. Is this coffee brewer 280g model same size or larger than aeropress?
2. Is it possible to stir it before top the water for siphon?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Nunas »

There are three sizes, small, medium, and large. But you can't really compare to Aeropress. With the Aeropress, the water dose is fixed once you start the coffee. With the Bell siphon, you can add more water at any time. The small one is tiny; I'm not sure he even makes it anymore. The medium one will give about a triple shot if filled to the top and not topped up, but this depends a lot on how much coffee you put in and the grind (same as the Aeropress). The large one would do a normal coffee mug.

As for stirring, yes, of course. I do this all the time. YOu can also let it steep for as long as you wish. I fill nearly to the top, give it a stir, let it settle, add the last bit off water to get the siphon started and that's it. If I want something with more volume, I just add a bit more water as it starts to go down. However, once the siphon actin stops running you can't add more water...well you could but you'd have to fill it to the top again to restart the siphon.

I love this thing and use it now and again, even though I bought mine primarily for display.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by yakster »

I do NOT need another coffee toy.

Repeat.

(sigh)
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by Nunas »

Chris, me neither, but I couldn't help myself...this thingis so cool :wink: