Batch brew suggestions (was "Any Chemex fans?")

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mwynne

#1: Post by mwynne »

My wife and I mostly drink pourovers at home, and in the mornings I use two single-serve pourovers to get us both cups (we like a solid 16oz mug full). Been wondering if a large Chemex might be a nice alternative - only need to brew one thing. Anyone here a big Chemex fan and would recommend giving it a go?
LMWDP #673

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Chemex is fine. I think something like a v60, it is easier to get a good cup. Having said that if you search youtube for Lance Hedrick and his two Chemex hacks, (filter modification and silicone 'cover' for 'spout' area) . . . these two hacks help. FTR I use Chemex when I want a bigger batch. Other than that-Hario.

Advertisement
mwynne (original poster)

#3: Post by mwynne (original poster) replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

A bigger batch option is exactly what I'm looking for. Mornings, when we have guests, etc. Our single serve cones and the europiccola are great for most of the time, but sometimes volume is a must.
LMWDP #673

mwynne (original poster)

#4: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

Bumping this for input, and renaming the thread. I did call out Chemex originally, but I'm open to any suggestions for batch brew options - enough for say 2-4 people at a pop.
LMWDP #673

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Chemex are great ways to brew enough for self and visitors. It's been my primary non-espresso brew method for years. I brew then decant into a pre-warmed thermos. It makes tasty coffee, is inexpensive, easy, and looks classy.

I recommend the bleached filters. They benefit from a hot water rinse which also pre-heats the Chemex glass. I avoid the unbleached filters because, unless they are rinsed several times (and still sometimes after that) they impart a cedar-like flavor. It is not an unpleasant taste--especially with beans that are already earthy--but certainly not desirable as a regular addition to otherwise excellent and expensive coffee. If I find myself stuck with those filters, I soak them under a running faucet and wring them out several times before placing in the Chemex and then do a normal hot water rinse.

As with V60s, etc., a temp-controlled electric kettle with a good spout is a big help, though there's nothing wrong with a regular stovetop kettle if you already have one. (Not to go off-topic, but I happened to read yesterday that America's Test Kitchen recommended the OXO electric kettle as their top pick. The Fellow Stagg, in their tests, was often off by 3-4 degrees and had some operational quirks they didn't love. I do not have significant experience with either kettle.)

Also as with V60s, etc., technique can make notable taste changes. You can easily make great coffee so don't sweat that. However, marrying a scale and a good grinder to a little inquisitive spirit can tune you in to the control you have over the flavor of the final product. That's a hobby-time bonus!

I have experience with Bonavitas, Behmor, and Tecnivorms, and would recommend all three. Maybe surprisingly, the Bonavita and Behmor have slight wins over the Technivorm on some technical aspects--mainly thermal consistency over the brew cycle. However, neither is terribly attractive while the Technivorm is a design icon. I've seen firsthand the longevity of the the Bonavita and Technivorm. Both will operate well for a very long time. From reviews, the Ratio 6 is fiddly and not necessarily worth its premium price. I know next to nothing about the stunningly beautiful Ratio 8s, and that's getting a LOOONG ways from the Chemex price point.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

_Ryan_

#6: Post by _Ryan_ »

For those in the land of the metric: 16oz is 473ml, x2 = 946ml

Have seen some solid Melbourne cafes using Breville batch brewers instead of the 'standard' Tecnivorm Moccmaster we're used to seeing. Locally they cost about the same. I believe it's due to the capacity, thermal stability and some 'automation'.
The TMM will likely last longer than 2-3 Brevilles and be repairable (which is why one will end up in my next, bigger, kitchen).

I don't have first hand experience with either, just went through the 'what if' with a close friend(former cafe owner) who was considering the purchase before she was distracted buying a house, I believe she'll be picking up the Breville soon (wouldn't have been my choice).
Mat-O-Matic wrote: As with V60s, etc., a temp-controlled electric kettle with a good spout is a big help, though there's nothing wrong with a regular stovetop kettle if you already have one. (Not to go off-topic, but I happened to read yesterday that America's Test Kitchen recommended the OXO electric kettle as their top pick. The Fellow Stagg, in their tests, was often off by 3-4 degrees and had some operational quirks they didn't love. I do not have significant experience with either kettle.)
Since we're on the (off-)topic, this might interest you someone is taking temp control of the "Stagg" into their own hands :lol:

thirdcrackfourthwave

#7: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

mwynne wrote:Bumping this for input, and renaming the thread. I did call out Chemex originally, but I'm open to any suggestions for batch brew options - enough for say 2-4 people at a pop.
2-4--go with Hedrick hacks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQG_aMcCL0 and you should be fine.

If we want to rename the thread 'really big batches' I would mess around with making concentrate with an aeropress toss it in the fridge and add hot water when needed.

Advertisement
mwynne (original poster)

#8: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

Thanks folks! I'll see if I can rustle up a Chemex locally to give it a go!
LMWDP #673

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I've had good luck finding them in thrift stores.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by pcofftenyo »

Chemex +1.

Pro-tip: increase grind size with batch size.