Baratza's New Vario Burrs for Non-espresso Brew Only - Page 6

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
endlesscycles

#51: Post by endlesscycles »

I have a vario-w with the metal burrs. The burrs do produce a much more even grind, and my brews have been more balanced as a result. I haven't used a Preciso to compare; I love the grind by weight feature of the vario-w, it's a great time saver as a pro roaster who brews and cups many coffees throughout the day.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#52: Post by Peppersass »

Ditto (though I'm not a pro-roaster, or a roaster at all. :D )

Advertisement
jasonmolinari

#53: Post by jasonmolinari »

i have a Mazzer Mini sitting around, and was wondering if anyone makes equivalent replacement burrs for the Mini to turn it into a "drip" grinder....

any ideas?

EricBNC

#54: Post by EricBNC replying to jasonmolinari »

Have you tried it yet when adjusted for pour over/auto drip?
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

jasonmolinari

#55: Post by jasonmolinari »

I have. Quite a while ago. Makes quite a bit of fines if I remember.

Bob_McBob

#56: Post by Bob_McBob »

I'm still trying to get a handle on how the Vario with Ditting burrs compares to the Preciso for regular brewed coffee. On the one hand, Nick Cho posted that it produces a better grind than many shop grinders, but Baratza is saying the burrs produce more fines than the Preciso burrs.

I'm not really interested in using the Vario for espresso anymore, so I'm mostly just debating whether to sell it or do the burr swap. I don't want to keep it around just as a backup/portable electric if the grind quality can't beat out one of the $175 Virtuoso with Preciso burrs refurbs.
Chris

Spitz.me

#57: Post by Spitz.me »

I just pulled the trigger and bought a set because I'm a little more fascinated with pour-over preparations lately. I have to say, it is the most even grind I've seen produced at such a coarse level by the Vario. I'm used to seeing some giant boulders and with the steel burrs the grind looks and feels so very even. I'm pretty stoked to get to try them tomorrow morning!
LMWDP #670

Advertisement
Spitz.me

#58: Post by Spitz.me »

Well I'll post my very early impression of these burrs.

Stunning coffee this morning. I have never, ever, cold brewed this Konga to taste and smell so much like unsweetened chocolate syrup that I'm am beyond happy with this purchase for the Vario.

Many less fines in my filter this morning, easily observable, and the best cold brew I've ever made with the same coffee, grind level and ratios.
LMWDP #670

Richard

#59: Post by Richard »

Spitz.me wrote:Well I'll post my very early impression of these burrs. . . . Many less fines in my filter this morning . . .
Less than what, may I ask? What grinder(s) are you comparing against?
-- Richard

Spitz.me

#60: Post by Spitz.me »

It was apparent that the non-espresso brew burrs produced a more even grind than the ceramic. I'm comparing the burr sets. Essentially, my experience is the same as everyone else who has reported in this thread.
LMWDP #670