Baratza's New Vario Burrs for Non-espresso Brew Only - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
EricBNC

#41: Post by EricBNC » Apr 25, 2012, 7:01 am

Nice -those grounds from the metal burr version of the Vario look to have very small size variation - thank you for posting the photos.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

donnedonne

#42: Post by donnedonne » Apr 25, 2012, 3:01 pm

Since nobody to my knowledge has yet performed a direct comparison between the Preciso & and the metal-Vario for drip/coarse-grind purposes, I thought that I'd pass this along:

Joyce from Baratza says that the Preciso produces fewer fines than the metal-Vario.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by jbviau » Apr 25, 2012, 3:12 pm

jbviau wrote:...I really wish someone would do a head-to-head between the Preciso and Vario 2.0. I haven't yet read of any "cup quality"-based reason to shell out substantially more for the latter.
donnedonne wrote:Joyce from Baratza says that the Preciso produces fewer fines than the metal-Vario.
^^^ Thanks, William! Now how about taste? Anyone?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

deity6667

#44: Post by deity6667 » replying to jbviau » May 31, 2012, 9:48 pm

+1 I would love to get some comments based on taste for the preciso and the metal vario burrs!

Bob_McBob

#45: Post by Bob_McBob » May 31, 2012, 10:49 pm

donnedonne wrote:Joyce from Baratza says that the Preciso produces fewer fines than the metal-Vario.
So what is the point of the metal burrs if a $530 specially modified Vario can't outperform a $325 Preciso for its intended use? Or are we getting away from the idea that fewer fines is better for regular brewed coffee?
Chris

Sam21

#46: Post by Sam21 » replying to Bob_McBob » Jun 01, 2012, 9:22 am

The metal burrs give Vario owners an option, but I think it's a bit much to purchase a Vario specifically for the metal burrs. I have used a Virtuoso and Preciso with the Preciso burrs and they perform above and beyond. I can't imagine spending $200+ more on a grinder for brewed coffee.

Bob_McBob

#47: Post by Bob_McBob » Jun 01, 2012, 4:31 pm

Sam21 wrote:The metal burrs give Vario owners an option, but I think it's a bit much to purchase a Vario specifically for the metal burrs. I have used a Virtuoso and Preciso with the Preciso burrs and they perform above and beyond.
Personally, I would *expect* the Vario with metal burrs to be a better choice, given the amount of hype I've read online, and the fact that the modification cripples the grinder for espresso. A dedicated $530 grinder with purpose built burrs should be able to beat a $325 grinder primarily marketed for espresso. Given I have never tried either grinder, I have no idea. Baratza claims the Preciso has fewer fines, but is the grind more uniform at regular brewed coffee sizes? Is there any community consensus on which actually works better, and if so, what is the implication of Baratza's statement about fines?
Bob_McBob several years ago wrote: I can't imagine spending $200+ more on a grinder for brewed coffee.
That worked out really well for me :mrgreen:
Chris

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by Peppersass » Jun 01, 2012, 10:29 pm

If you're going to do brew only, and never use the grinder for espresso, then the Preciso is probably a better choice from a cost perspective. But if you're willing to pay a little more, the Vario's digital timer can produce a more precise dose in a more convenient manner. The Vario-W has a built-in 0.1g scale that makes it really easy to obtain precisely weighed doses (I much prefer it to timed doses for dialing in brewed coffee.)

I originally bought the Vario for espresso. When I later upgraded to a K10, I moved the Vario to brew-only duty. Soon after, I replaced the ceramic burrs with the Ditting metal burrs. Then I replaced the Vario with a Vario-W.

For me, this progression has made a lot of sense. The Vario with ceramic burrs is by far the best espresso grinder anywhere near its price range. Rather than selling it on the used market, I was able to turn it into a terrific brew-only grinder for $60. And I have an excellent backup espresso grinder in case anything goes wrong with the K10. All I have to do is re-install the ceramic burrs.

EricBNC

#49: Post by EricBNC » Jun 03, 2012, 2:37 am

I want to believe, I really do. My Mahlkonig K30 can't do much more, maybe no more, than my Preciso for coarse grinding. I wonder if the Vario with metal burrs brings it to a new level really, or does it only bring it back to acceptable quality? I could live with the K30 for pour over if i did not have better on hand for coarse grinding, but better is definitely available and fortunately is also on hand...
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

EvanOz85

#50: Post by EvanOz85 » Jun 21, 2012, 7:16 pm

Been a while since someone posted here. Anyone directly compared the grind quality to the Preciso yet?