Baratza's New Vario Burrs for Non-espresso Brew Only - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jammin

#21: Post by jammin »

jsolanzo wrote: $60 does seem a lot, but if it makes a lot of difference, like less fines, then I'm down!
Big difference. My burrs are not even seasoned and the grinds look obviously different. The difference in the cup though is what counts and this tastes like a whole new grinder to me. I've never felt like the vario did a great job at press anyways. The vapot setting is also much improved. I was gonna sell my vario for a preciso until I found these burrs.

jsolanzo

#22: Post by jsolanzo »

Awesome! I'll definitely buy a set. I think the only problem with the ceramics is the fines. I'm always getting a cup of coffee that has a hint of bitterness in it. Every other variables look right, except for the bitterness.
LMWDP #355

jbviau
Supporter ★

#23: Post by jbviau »

jammin wrote:...I was gonna sell my vario for a preciso until I found these burrs.
Maybe you should have! ;) Glad you're happy, but I really wish someone would do a head-to-head between the Preciso and Vario 2.0. I haven't yet read of any "cup quality"-based reason to shell out substantially more for the latter.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Richard

#24: Post by Richard »

jammin wrote:. . . Night and day difference in grind with the Ditting burrs.
Ditting??
-- Richard

jammin

#25: Post by jammin »

Yes, the new burrs are produced by Ditting. I was pretty thrilled when I found that out.

jsolanzo

#26: Post by jsolanzo »

DITTING! If anyone can let me borrow a preciso..... I can compare lol..
LMWDP #355

jsolanzo

#27: Post by jsolanzo »

Sorry for double post, but I just purchased one! Should arrive about tuesday since I live in CA, same state as the Baratza distributor I think.
LMWDP #355

Intrepid510

#28: Post by Intrepid510 »

Well I am here in the bay area Berkeley with a preciso, I know Sunnyvale is far but just saying.

another_jim
Team HB

#29: Post by another_jim »

jsolanzo wrote:DITTING! If anyone can let me borrow a preciso..... I can compare lol..
The espresso Vario burrs are made by Mahlkoenig. Aren't Ditting and Mahlkoenig the same company now? Either way, the Varios sport some serious burrage.
Jim Schulman

jammin

#30: Post by jammin »

^yep - you called it, Jim.