The Automatica (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
vkbrihma

#1: Post by vkbrihma »

Just came across this on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... automatica

I currently use a ratio 8 and am far more excited about this since the brewing mechanism will actually allow for water of different temps (at the moment designed for 1 temp and one pour pattern). Also on the kickstarter is cheaper than the ratio 8. I have never tried brewing with the St. Anthony's perfect filter, do folks like the taste? How does it compare to chemex?

Really excited about this project. Been wanting an individual version of the poursteady and this seems to deliver!

Oh and I think these are the same guys who came up with the Steampunk (later became Alpha Dominche).

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

You've gotta be effing kidding me.

:|
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

MikFlores300

#3: Post by MikFlores300 »

I'm not sure how you think this is better than the Ratio 8. This is more like a "poor"steady.

A few things I see:
Height of the cup must be constant/Stage is too small for larger carafes.
The dose of coffee can't be changed, as far as I know. It doesn't look like it could be programmed to pour different amounts of water.
The kettle looks cheap, and I think I've seen this one from Chinese manufacturers.
Too expensive, even with it less than the reported $1k starting price.

A Ratio 8, Bonavita, Technivorm, all make great filter coffee, and they can make more than a single cup when needed, all while being cheaper.

Looks nice, but I'll pass.

tglodjo

#4: Post by tglodjo »

I'm not buying the idea that they're brewing coffee in that garage. Looks much more like a Breaking Bad situation IMHO.

vkbrihma (original poster)

#5: Post by vkbrihma (original poster) »

So I would say 90% of the time when I am making coffee during the day I need a cup at a time. Generally, make a min of 3 cups in my ratio 8 and then consume it throughout the day but this actually works well when I would prefer 1-3 cups spread through the day. Having actually used the ratio here are the clear advantages in my mind:

1. There are actually no plastic parts that the water passes through. The ratio has plastic connectors at each bend, though the tubes are glass.
2. It actually looks like it coats the entire bed of the coffee the ratio misses on the edges as its really just boiling water and has very little pressure by the time the water gets to is shower head so the edges tend not to get wet in the bloom phase.
3. I can make less than 3 cups (which like I said is greater than 90% of the situations where I want coffee), if I want more than a cup I could either a) run it few more times or b) just do the manual pour over in a Chemex...
4. To be clear dosing on the ratio 8 requires measuring the water and coffee each time with a 3 cup min. Hopefully, these guys didn't mess up putting water level marker like the ratio (which has admitted that due inconsistencies in glass blowing their marks are off). So on the raitio its not like you select the number of cups it just spits out all the water that is put into it.
5. if the kettle is stainless and does not have plastic come into contact with water, not sure that I care it is from China, which by the way is where all the components of the Ratio are made....

All at a similar price to the ratio 8.

I get that its not great in a situation where you want to brew 5 cups at a time, but for me I need 1 cup at a time a few times through the day and this fits that situation perfectly.

Not sure your comment around "poor"steady has any real grounding other than being cute and a bit moronic. It actually is pretty clever as they can move the kettle one dimension and move the cup radially to actually get to all parts of the coffee bed if they open up that functionality. Its a simple design that actually covers a lot of the needs. Good design does not require a ton of motors and gears so I actually think its quite clever the way the solved the problem. Also gets way better coverage than the ratio and other ones you mentioned.

allwooba

#6: Post by allwooba »

I'm not a buyer, but there's one thing I like, it does appear to wet the grounds thoroughly, something the Technivorm does not do. (I'm at a loss to understand how the Technivorm makes a "great" pourover, but that's a rant for another thread.) The allure of the automatic pourover is confusing to me. Manual chemex, V60, clever, etc is not a lot of work.

borisblank

#7: Post by borisblank »

Either move the pour or move the coffee. i like the idea of trying something new by moving the coffee - in particular by rotating the brewer - but tilting a brewkettle to effect a pour? Seems kinda cheesy. Who cares if it's a carafe - just make a spigot that sits over the brew bed and pours water while the brewer rotates and/or slides sideways. Or combine the poursteady lateral spigot movement with a rotating brewer.

The PerfectFilter...isn't. It lets some fines through, which isn't terrible but because the brewbed is narrow and tall it's harder to quickly saturate the entire bed for an even extraction. I used to like it before I improved on my V60 technique, but haven't used a Phoenix in a long time.

kolu

#8: Post by kolu »

overpriced "nice looking" garbage.

Mrboots2u

#9: Post by Mrboots2u »

TomC wrote:You've gotta be effing kidding me.

:|
Apparently not... but I am with you, this is a non idea . Coffee like alot of male hobbies seems to entice peopel to buy stuff that is just totally pointless.
450 dollars for something to effectively tip a kettle.

civ

#10: Post by civ »

Hello:
kolu wrote:overpriced "nice looking" garbage.
Mrboots2u wrote:... for something to effectively tip a kettle.
No, you guys didn't get it.

The Automatica has a "tilt-metric flow and volume control", how else could you possibly get an "elegant and targeted pour"? Besides, it also comes in "true black."

I tell you, one of these days the gods will eventually give up on us.

Cheers,

CIV