Anyone try the glass Clever dripper?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

I see that there's now a glass Clever Coffee Dripper, has anyone tried this, I'm interested in hearing some informed opinions. Mixed reviews on Amazon regarding the filter sticking to the glass, thermal characteristics, and the awkwardness of the handle.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/glass-cleve ... ipper.html
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I've been using first the square one for a year and now the round one for two, so three in total. Effectively the same but I think the round one looks better. Since it's an immersion brewer, what matters would seem to be how fast it drains which in my case seems to be 35 to 50 seconds for 450 grams of water and 16 grams of beans after a 3 minute brew. I've been very happy with it. I'd been using the Bonavita as it's not plastic but I like the Clever's workflow better. And yes, the filter paper does not fit perfectly, but I think that helps the draw down. The glass is made by Schott in Germany which didn't mean anything to me, but when I showed it to Barb of OE, she said they make very high quality glass.

Ira

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

They've been very rare in the US. I only know of about 8 or so brought into the US by the company and wasn't aware anyone was importing them. When I asked about bringing them in, I was told they're probably too expensive for the US. I wasn't that serious and never found out what that meant though I had the impression that it would have been around $100 retail.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback, Ira. I think my old plastic CCDs have crazed/cracked a bit so I was wondering about possibly getting a glass one sometime in the future.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bobR

#5: Post by bobR »

For what it's worth, I use a ceramic and stainless steel (valve) Goat Story , Gina dripper. No plastic and has a conical design with ridges. This has capabilities similar to a Clever. The big issue is cost...very expensive. I typically use it for total immersion (filtered) brewing but hybrid brewing or straight pour-over are options.

rmongiovi

#6: Post by rmongiovi »

I've used the black plastic Clever. At least you can't see the crazing. What I don't like about the Clever is that it doesn't fit on my size cup. I made a lid with a raised ring that is the size of the Clever. The lid completely covers my larger cup and the raised ring activates the Clever. It works pretty well. I looked at the glass model but it seems like it's more than half plastic anyway and just looks kind of ugly to me.

I really liked my Bonavita ceramic immersion dripper but the plastic open/close lever broke and apparently the company is having some difficulties so they're no longer available.

The Gina looks attractive but I'm bothered by the long drop into that uninsulated pitcher. How much does the coffee cool down by the time you get it poured into your cup? Or do you just empty the funnel top straight into a cup?

I thought I might give the Hario Switch a try.

Oaktownche

#7: Post by Oaktownche »

I picked one up about a week ago. Sweet Maria's has them in stock for $50. Works great. The design aesthetic is better in person than expected.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I tried the BVID but didn't like the manual lever. I have a December Dripper but I really like the simplicity of the CCD opening the flow when you put it on the cup.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

There's also a Hario glass immersion dripper that comes in at least two sizes. I haven't tried it, though. Here's a screen shot I grabbed:

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Oaktownche

#10: Post by Oaktownche »

yakster wrote:I see that there's now a glass Clever Coffee Dripper, has anyone tried this, I'm interested in hearing some informed opinions. Mixed reviews on Amazon regarding the filter sticking to the glass, thermal characteristics, and the awkwardness of the handle.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/glass-cleve ... ipper.html
After 15 brews have not experienced any of the complaints of the Amazon reviews.