Anyone Try the Drobi Brewer?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

Anyone try this yet? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dro ... rewer--2#/
I'm less interested in the bypass solution than whether it can truly brew well without any paper filters? Every other all metal brewer seems to have problems with cups either being too muddy or with grinds clinging to the mesh of the filter and clogging it over time. Does the Drobi solve this issue?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Interesting brewer. The results will probably depend a lot on the quality of the grind, the mesh filters remind me of the ones I used to use in an Aeropress.

I wonder about heat dissipation / retention in an all metal brewer and also if it is really as easy to clean as they claim, though the Aeropress metal filters were pretty easy to clean. The resulting brew looks pretty well extracted. They mention that the middle section gets pretty hot so it must be radiating some heat. Some might try insulating the metal using beer koosies or some other materials.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

heytchap

#3: Post by heytchap »

Just get a Vietnamese phin, it's basically the same thing.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

The phin only has one filter and it isn't removable or very fine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

heytchap

#5: Post by heytchap »

seems easily fixed by adding a filter. I dont know. I dont see anything "revolutionary" here. It's a phin.

LewBK (original poster)

#6: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

According to the FAQs about the Drobi on its Indiegogo page: " What is the difference between DROBI One and Vietnamese Phin?
- DROBI ONE uses a special triple layer mash filter. - Vietnam Phin requires pressing or stirring the coffee beans to extract, but DROBI One uses a general pour-over method." Could be just marketing, but they say it's different.

heytchap

#7: Post by heytchap »

It's a still a phin

GregoryJ

#8: Post by GregoryJ »

I like the idea of the built in shower head. It looks like you can brew larger cups with the Drobi than the aeropress. Probably a good fit for people who don't want to mess around with different methods and agitation. And lean towards darker roasted coffees since it is made of metal.

LewBK (original poster)

#9: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

My concern here is that the fine triple mesh filter will clog over time. This has been the problem with any number of pour over metal filter reviews I've seen on Amazon like for the Able Kone. For some reason when I read these metal filter reviews, people say no amount of cleaning seems capable of removing those clogs over the long-term. I suppose with the Drobi as the triple mesh filter is small and only part of the device it might be cheaper and easier to replace.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

A coffee-specific cleaner like Cafiza makes a huge difference. I have the Kohi Labs metal fabric Aeropress filter and the Diguo metal mesh Syphon filter, and those filters need to be soaked in Cafiza at least every ten cups.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada