Anyone tried making pour-over directly from espresso machine's hot water wand?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I know, the water's too hot. But has anyone tried it? I'm trying to simplify life, and going to the fridge to get the jug of water to fill the electric kettle, wait for it to boil, preheat pour-over kettle, pour boiling water into kettle... you get the picture - well that eats up time that I don't have on weekday mornings. My espresso machine is already set to come on before I even get up - what if I set a V60 under the hot-water wand and skip the pour-over kettle altogether? Just go directly from the hot-water wand to the V60?

I know the obvious answer here is to just make an Americano but that's what I always do, I'd like to spice it up a bit

day

#2: Post by day »

I do one of three things in addition to my espresso.

Vacpot. Hands off until the water nears boiling. Then you have to lower temp and slide it off the eye until the temperature stabilizes where you want it. Still need to keep an eye on it but is pretty hands off then.

V60-boil in gooseneck, have a probe with alarm sitting in water, when it hits my set temp I start the bloom.

Clever-I just boil the water and pour directly in off boil. Temperature drops fast enough that this has worked very well since I got it for Christmas and is an excellent balance between a good cup and ease of delivery in the morning.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

Perhaps you could put a sieve or the like on top of the cone to cool and distribute the water to save yourself the trouble?

SonVolt (original poster)

#4: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

day wrote:I do one of three things in addition to my espresso.

Vacpot. Hands off until the water nears boiling. Then you have to lower temp and slide it off the eye until the temperature stabilizes where you want it. Still need to keep an eye on it but is pretty hands off then.

V60-boil in gooseneck, have a probe with alarm sitting in water, when it hits my set temp I start the bloom.

Clever-I just boil the water and pour directly in off boil. Temperature drops fast enough that this has worked very well since I got it for Christmas and is an excellent balance between a good cup and ease of delivery in the morning.

Hmmm, the Clever's an idea, since I wouldn't have to worry about a slow pour as with a V60. I'd just turn the water wand on until it's full.

SonVolt (original poster)

#5: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:Perhaps you could put a sieve or the like on top of the cone to cool and distribute the water to save yourself the trouble?

Interesting idea. I need to invent a water dispersion screen attachment for hot-water wands. I'm surprised no one's thought of that.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I would fill a steam pitcher with the desired amount from the water tap, measure it with a food thermometer and food timer to determine the required cool down period, then you would have water temp dialed in for the Clever.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

SonVolt wrote:I know, the water's too hot. But has anyone tried it? I'm trying to simplify life, and going to the fridge to get the jug of water to fill the electric kettle, wait for it to boil, preheat pour-over kettle, pour boiling water into kettle... you get the picture - well that eats up time that I don't have on weekday mornings. My espresso machine is already set to come on before I even get up - what if I set a V60 under the hot-water wand and skip the pour-over kettle altogether? Just go directly from the hot-water wand to the V60?

I know the obvious answer here is to just make an Americano but that's what I always do, I'd like to spice it up a bit
I keep my Mavea water filter jug on the counter so it's not cold. Faster heat up.

I fill and heat my Hario pouring kettle directly on the stove to eliminate a step and keep water temp higher longer. (I also have a little fleece jacket for it).

So the process can be simpler and faster.

Issue with water from espresso machine wand might be pressure behind it.
LMWDP #603

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

How about you put your kettle on a timer. when you're ready to brew, it would take a minute, maybe less to get the water boiled again while you prep your PO.

That's what I did, until I decided to just shell for an on-demand hot water solution. In the long run, it pays for itself. You can get one under the sink, or you can get one that sits on the counter (though you have to fill it frequently).

The best solutions are often simpler than the problem itself. The rule is to not create more problems trying to solve them.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

damonbowe

#9: Post by damonbowe »

What ones for under the sink? The good under sink ones cost like $3000 last I looked. Insinkerator is not hot enough. Genuinely curious.

yatesd

#10: Post by yatesd »

I drink primarily long blacks/americanos. For this reason, I have lowered the temperature for my boiler from 255 to 220. This has worked perfectly for me. Now I have a hot water dispenser. Much lower, and it wouldn't work well and any higher is steam.

- I do limit how much water I use at a time to avoid running my boiler dry (small cappuccino cup). I fill up with hot water about half way and then follow with a double-shot espresso.
- I also use for tea and my daughter likes it for hot chocolate. For tea, you should technically let it cool down a little before you add tea leaves.
- For slightly larger cups, I am careful to run it a little. Stop, run it a little again, while it refills the boiler. No issues and I've been doing this for about a year

The only hassle is that it would not be ideal for an environment where other drinks (latte, cappuccino) would be made regularly, since switching the temp back and forth is not that convenient. For me, I try to avoid calories in my drinks...so lattes are rare.