Anyone see the American Press?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

It looks like another spin on cleaning up French Press coffee, which has been done before. The name makes me think of Freedom Fries (cringe). But if it's easier to push down than the Espro, it might find some support. When they first said the word "pod" I immediately got turned off, but he was only referring to the chamber that holds the grounds. I don't need yet another brewer, I just bought one of those novelty R2-D2 French Presses, but this one looks more portable and maybe less fragile than a standard glass french press ( I'm not sure if it's polycarbonate on the American Press). Also, it's $80

https://www.itsamericanpress.com/pages/how-it-works
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Interesting, the mention of terms espresso, tamp, pre-infusion, and pod are a bit odd in the video, also it appears to be designed to function not as a full immersion device but rather as a sort of reverse percolation where you force the grounds down through the water and have your cup ready in short order. Looks like the grinds used are also pretty fine, they're using 100 micron steel filtration.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Seems to have two advantage over a regular FP.
Don't have to wait the 4-6min brew time and less gritty than most FP except for maybe the Espro P5.
Kind of combination of a traditional FP with a Aeropress.

* not a glass container but a high grade clear plastic housing (BPA-free Tritan®).
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I backed the project and now have one. I do like it but have never used the Espro, so can't compare. It produces a very nice brew. It is very well made too. I will likely use it for travel for the most part. Currently, I use the Bobble Press for that purpose, which is also great.

The American Press takes a bit more effort to clean.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

An interesting little device. I have an Espro medium press and like it VERY much. Very well designed and engineered, but I can see where this might be a little more travel-friendly, though, in that it would pack in a bit less space (of course, when you're schlepping a Lido grinder, you've pretty much signaled that you'll carry a piano for good coffee).

Couple of observations, and some questions:
  • The recommended brew times are pretty short, on the order of 2.5 minutes or so (I'm comparing to a press pot).
  • It wasn't the "pod" reference that turned me off, but it's curious that they're marketing to the pre-ground coffee crowd. Hm.
  • So they recommend a medium grind rather than fine, and 22g at that. Sweaner, what is the yield in grams that you're seeing?
  • Another question for Sweaner. You mention "more effort to clean". Can you talk about the routine you use? Their graphic makes it seem like a "pop out the puck and you're done" kind of thing, but i have to think it's more fiddly.
Thanks for bringing this to the attention of H-Bers, Mr. Chips! I'm intrigued.
- John

LMWDP # 577

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

It is certainly not hard to clean, just more effort than the Bobble Press.

It can take a fairly fine grind but will require more effort to plunge. It is interesting to experiment with different methods and times. I even tried to push down, then pull up again, but was not very successful with that.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

Thanks, Scott. Have you weighed the cup you get with the recommended 12 oz water and 22g coffee? I'm curious how much output you get. Maybe 8-10 oz? I'd do the experiment in my Espro, but I leave it at the office.
- John

LMWDP # 577

max

#8: Post by max »

This seems more like an Aeropress than a French press. Or did I miss something?

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner replying to max »

It is not really a French Press, as it is not an immersion brew. Sort of like a "reverse" Aeropress, as the coffee is being pressed through the water.

I will try measuring the output over the next couple of days.
Scott
LMWDP #248

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner »

I just did a brew with 22.4 g coffee and 12 oz water. This actually filled the press to slightly above the 12 oz mark but below the Max Fill.

Got exactly 10 oz coffee out.
Scott
LMWDP #248