Always brew at 197F? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
rmongiovi

#11: Post by rmongiovi »

espressoren wrote:I've wondered how we are supposed to factor in altitude to these guidelines. Some of us can't hit much past 200°F.
I don't think it's something you "factor in." Water temperature is limited by its boiling point which depends on atmospheric pressure. You just have to adjust your recipe so you like the results at the temperatures you can achieve.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by LBIespresso »

espressoren wrote:I've wondered how we are supposed to factor in altitude to these guidelines. Some of us can't hit much past 200°F.
I'll be brewing at the bird in a few weeks. Water boils at 196 up there!
LMWDP #580

Sal

#13: Post by Sal »

I used to always brew near 200-205 water temp, but not anymore. Higher temp always extracted some undesirable flavors especially bitterness for me. The coffee I drink is mostly light-med to med-dark range. Never into 2nd crack, but variable on timing after 1st crack. I found a recipe online using Aeropress. It calls for 20g med grind (coarser than what most Aeropress recipes call for) coffee in ~100ml of 185F hot water, mix, brew for 1 min (yes only 1 min), then press. Dilute in the cup to a final weight of 240g. So, it is a 1:5 brew ratio but the final cup is at 1:12.

I found this recipe works for almost all the coffee I drink. And, it has never given me bitterness. Almost always very complex, sweet, and tolerable sourness (if the coffee is on the lighter side roast fruit forward type). I don't like very sour coffee, so, it works very well for me. It is a bit wasteful to use a 20g dose, but since I roast my own coffee, it is very cheap compared to some specialty coffee purchased from exclusive roasters.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

radioradio

#14: Post by radioradio »

I look to the roaster for their recommendations but I've been mostly at 200F for a few months now and I like the results from the lower temperature.

RyanJE

#15: Post by RyanJE »

What's funny is that a lot of roasters and respected coffee people say just use boiling water....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Yum (original poster)

#16: Post by Yum (original poster) »

I brew 30G 1:16. Because I want 16oz to drink. 20g is way to small if a drink for most. And people are doing many different types of coffee making.

Cool Beans
Supporter

#17: Post by Cool Beans »

It took me a while to start experimenting temps lower than 200F but now prefer 193-196F range depending on the vibe.

tbombadil

#18: Post by tbombadil »

Sal wrote:I used to always brew near 200-205 water temp, but not anymore. Higher temp always extracted some undesirable flavors especially bitterness for me.
I have a Brazen brewer so adjusting the precise brew temp is simple. Always do filter and used a Rocky grinder for years. I agreed with your description and had lowered the temp from 204 down to 198 to eliminate undesired flavors. But I recently got a new grinder that is much more consistent than the Rocky and everything changed dramatically. With the same beans I can brew at higher temps and also larger doses and get zero strong/bitter/undesired flavors in the cup. Offering this as an extra bit of data to put into the calculations and discussion. The parameters of dose, grind and temp are so interrelated, and need to be optimized for the beans, the brew method, and taste preferences. Still adjusting all three to get my preferred profile, but looks like I'll be somewhere between 201 and 204.

Jonk

#19: Post by Jonk »

tbombadil wrote:The parameters of dose, grind and temp are so interrelated, and need to be optimized for the beans, the brew method, and taste preferences.
This is true, but keep in mind that your palate is likely heavily affected by using a Rocky for years. The Vario BG burrs are so much better for brew (while still retaining a small amount of bitterness IME).

For me, using lower temps is more about optimizing the worst cup than the best cup. 204F is no doubt going to be best sometimes.. But the question is, are you missing out on a lot by always picking a lower temp? For me the answer is usually no (concerning good stuff) and fairly often yes (concerning bad stuff).

tbombadil

#20: Post by tbombadil replying to Jonk »

I did switch to the steel burrs on the Vario. It's still new so we'll see how they season, but so far virtually no bitterness unless I really crank up the dose, grind fineness and temp, and then just slight. I agree lower temps are "safer", but may not reveal the best spectrum. Just a counterpoint to "always brew at 197".