Aluminum vs Stainless Steel Moka Pot Brewing James Hoffmann

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Starts at 24:15. James uses a I.R. camera during heating to show the differences between aluminum vs S.Steel material.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Very weird and unexpected. I can't figure it out. I don't get the sense that James could either which is why his conclusion mystifies me.

All in all, a video that was both disappointing and perversely amusing. He had the equipment setup that I've dreamed of for experimenting with moka pots and I had high expectations. But while James had hoped for achieving a deeper understanding that he could share with us, instead the moka pot made him its bitch. A half hour of semi-incoherent rambling followed.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

redbone wrote:Starts at 24:15. James uses a I.R. camera during heating to show the differences between aluminum vs S.Steel material.

video
the upper chamber of the SS model wasn't SS. Unless it's figured out in the comments JH never says what the material was, just the comment in the editing but I'm guess this is why there was such heat differences. Also the thickness of the material may have been some of the reasons too.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:Very weird and unexpected. I can't figure it out.
Maybe material thickness and density? The Venus (the instrumented brewer) is quite a bit heavier than the Express; yet the Venus is thinner everywhere, especially up top. (I have a Venus in the same size. No thermal camera, though :P.)
- bigger flat burr makes always better grinding result than smaller one - H. Lee

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

baldheadracing wrote:Maybe material thickness and density?
I wouldn't even try to guess. It's too complicated.

And what's the point, exactly, other than the pretty images? I know there's this notion of the metal getting so hot that it damages the coffee. So one could look at that. But then you'd want to measure the temperature at the metal/coffee interface, not the outside of the pot. I think this whole section of the video is just theater.

Also, what's up with that note where he claims that the top of the (presumably) Bialetti Venus isn't made of stainless steel?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:... Also, what's up with that note where he claims that the top of the (presumably) Bialetti Venus isn't made of stainless steel?
I'm not clear about that either.

I was wrong in thinking that I have the same brewer. I think that the two Frankenmoka's are 4-cup first-gen Venus' - but the 6-cup(?) used for thermal imaging looks like a second-gen. (2nd gen has a metal flip handle on the lid; the 1st gen's handle has the same plastic as the main handle.)
Compared to the previous version, the new one includes new upper part, lid knob and handle design as well as increased lower part thickness by 20%.
- https://www.coffeedesk.com/product/1804 ... 2Tz-Copper

I have a 4-cup 2nd gen. It's base is slightly magnetic. The upper part is not magnetic. The copper-coloured finish on the upper part appears identical to the copper-coloured finish of my stainless steel Stagg. The Bialetti looks like stainless steel, Bialetti says that it is stainless steel - so I'm willing to disagree with James Hoffmann ( :shock: ).
- bigger flat burr makes always better grinding result than smaller one - H. Lee

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by DamianWarS »

jpender wrote: Also, what's up with that note where he claims that the top of the (presumably) Bialetti Venus isn't made of stainless steel?
Which begs the question if it's not SS then what is it?

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

I'll bet that it is stainless steel, just not magnetic as BHR mentioned. For induction compatibility you don't really want magnetic steel anywhere other than the base. Could it be that Hoffmann thought that it being non-magnetic meant that it isn't stainless?

LewBK

#9: Post by LewBK »

Although Hoffmann struggled on this one, one conclusion I drew from his video is that a heat diffusion plate really helps with moka pots. Has anyone here tried this? Does it lead to better tasting coffee?

vit

#10: Post by vit »

When he poured hot water into the chamber in one of his recent moka pot videos, I stopped watching anyway ...