All-Clad Presso vs. Aeropress - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
espressoed

#11: Post by espressoed »

chicory wrote:I feel confident about good results given your tutorials, but my other hardware might be lacking... my PeDe that I acquired used must have been run quite awhile misaligned because when I set the burrs to rub they do so intermittently during a revolution, so something is off eh?
While your Pe De may have problems, intermittent burr rub when cranking while empty is quite common among manual grinders and not an indicator of poor quality of the grinder or the grinds it will produce.
All the coffee in Ethiopia won't make me a morning person.

hbuchtel

#12: Post by hbuchtel »

Hi David, I don't know very much about hand grinders, but there are plenty on this forum that do... maybe you could make a new topic in the 'grinders' forum?

That Truesso is pretty cool, huh? It is a pity he never took it to market.

One suggestion, start with a fairly loose grind on the Presso. If you find yourself straining to move the levers, just give up on that shot... too many ristrettos will break either the arms or the piston.

You are lucky to be so close to a great roaster! When I first started I was using the Presso, a crappy hand grinder, home (poorly) roasted local beans that I later realized were absolutely inappropriate for espresso... what a frustrating year :).

About the tamper, I'm pretty sure that a convex <50mm tamper would be the way to go, but I haven't had the chance to actually use one myself. I tamp with a flat 49mm tamper then turn it over and use the convex handle to tamp again. The bottomless view is not beautiful, but the shots taste right so I can't complain. Another option is to buy the 51mm (millenium model) la Pavoni or Gaggia Factory baskets, as these don't have that 'buckle' for the spring.

Regards, Henry
LMWDP #53

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
chicory

#13: Post by chicory »

espressoed wrote:While your Pe De may have problems, intermittent burr rub when cranking while empty is quite common among manual grinders and not an indicator of poor quality of the grinder or the grinds it will produce.
Well that is welcome news. Thanks for the hope.

And thank you for the grind tip Henry; that should (help) save me from damage. But I will move any further discussion on this stuff to the Grinders forum.

Yes, Barefoot is a bonus. I grew up in Seattle and attended college there around 1990 near downtown Seattle. Capitol Hill was an epicenter for espresso in Seattle, and probably should still be with Espresso Vivace: http://www.espressovivace.com/ They were (are?) pretty serious about their espresso, and if you let a shot sit for more than a minute they would snatch it back off the bar and get you another one (with a scolding as I recall). Oh, by the way Henry, they sell green beans for home roasters if you are looking for a source...

Ok, I'll talk to Les about a convex tamper; he says he prefers a flat with his Presso. And I will probably use a hacksaw to remove the bottom from my portafilter, or a Dremel if I can find one to borrow. Now I am off to figure out what this 'buckle' for the spring business is about; I hadn't noticed that issue.

Ta, David
Is there anything better than coffee and beignets at 4am?

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by IMAWriter »

Henry...just watched your video. Nicely done.
I have to say though, "Drink your damn coffee first!" :lol:
The grinder does a fine job with your work style.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

chicory

#15: Post by chicory »

chicory wrote:...

Ok, I'll talk to Les about a convex tamper; he says he prefers a flat with his Presso. And I will probably use a hacksaw to remove the bottom from my portafilter, or a Dremel if I can find one to borrow. Now I am off to figure out what this 'buckle' for the spring business is about; I hadn't noticed that issue.

Alrighty, so I've had the Presso for a few weeks now, and I can see the "buckle" you referred to Henry, where the spring that holds the basket inside the portafilter. Yes, that is unfortunate... so a 49mm tamper fits inside the buckle (and therefore missing a bit of the grounds beneath it). You mentioned some alternative parts, but I would want to decide on that before purchasing a 49mm tamper from Les for sure. Thanks for the tips.

Now, I am working on my technique, and have been able to get a little lingering crema, but feel that my routine must improve before I can get any more out of this machine. I am enjoying learning this... instrument, the routine is not difficult, and certainly the results are better than the moka pot. But right now I have too many variables to control... a friend brought me some green beans from Mexico, leading to this:

A Poppery off eBay, a candy thermometer and scale from Sweet Marias, some random stuff from about the house, and I am up and roasting! So I think I should start a dedicated thread to my trials. Hope to see you there Henry. :)
Is there anything better than coffee and beignets at 4am?

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

Just watched a video on the Orphan Espresso web site, and I must say the Presso has a not so coincidental appearance and function characteristic of the Faema "Baby" Femina (sp)
In fact, pretty must the same. I can guess who was first.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

hbuchtel

#17: Post by hbuchtel »

Uh-oh, you're trying to learn everything at once... :lol:

Well good luck! At least you've got good coffee nearby to calibrate your tastebuds. That should be enough to prevent you from thinking everyone on this forum is a willing participant in some sort of communal insanity (which is what I was thinking a couple months into trying to source beans, roast, and brew on the Presso).

See you in the new topic when you make it,

Regards, Henry
LMWDP #53