Aeropress - which one is the BPA free model?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
angman

#1: Post by angman »

I have the brown tinted one. I see that there are clear colored ones. Which is the safer BPA free model?

Thanks

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

The clear ones are old models, which I believe were not BPA-free. I believe all the dark models are indeed BPA-free.

angman (original poster)

#3: Post by angman (original poster) »

Perfect. I can continue to drink in peace. Thank you

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

angman wrote:I have the brown tinted one. I see that there are clear colored ones. Which is the safer BPA free model?

Thanks
An independent lab tested and verified that while the clear product did contain BPA, none of that leeched into any drink.

http://aerobie.com/Products/Details/Aer ... iption.htm
-----
LMWDP #339

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

In addition, it's worth noting that BPA-free doesn't necessarily imply that the plastic is okay from that perspective (chemicals that mimic estrogen).

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1003220/

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz »

I am still using my original Aeropress purchased almost 10 years ago...I think. It still looks and functions as new. I purchased the BPA-free version (it was clear plastic) when it first came out and within a few months it developed cracks and was stained and grungy looking. I ordered a replacement from Aerobie and requested the old version...which they sent...and have been happily using it on trips ever since.

I think the newest, smoke-colored versions are an attempt to camouflage the staining and general grunginess...and maybe even the cracks that developed with the new plastic. I think the whole BPA scare, in this case, was totally overblown and silly and resulted in an inferior product. Of course, if I develop brain damage at some point (I mean more than usual...:) ) I can sue Aerobie and make a ton of money. Life's swell...ain't it? :mrgreen:
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I just asked Alan Adler, the AeroPress inventor, and he wrote this with permission to quote:

"The original AeroPress was clear with a blue tint. That resin contained BPA, though an independent lab could not detect BPA in the brewed coffee, despite a verified sensitivity of two parts per billion.

All subsequent AeroPresses have been molded with the BPA-free resin, Eastman Tritan. We began clear (no blue tint) and later added the present smoke tint."
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

angman (original poster)

#8: Post by angman (original poster) »

Thank you Gary

RioCruz

#9: Post by RioCruz »

For those of you who use the newer, smoke-tinted Aeropress, has it developed cracks in the compression tube like the clear, non-BPA ones did? Just curious...
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

My first Aeropress (2011 smoke colored) developed crazing (not actual cracks) after less than a year of use. The crazing could not be felt externally but rather as shallow grooves on the inside surface. They were at the level where the cylinder was supported by the plunger when brewing inverted:

Aerobie replaced the cylinder for free.

My second Aeropress also developed the same sort of crazing. But to be fair, I abused this one by tightening a hose clamp around it in order to attach a pressure sensitive valve. Interestingly, not only did it develop those weird grooves, it also warped visibly. I suppose that's the nature of thermoplastics. Similarly the black end cap from my first Aeropress became convex over time.

I'm now using Aeropress number three (in as many years) and it is beginning to show signs of these grooves even though I only occasionally brew inverted with it.