Aeropress Inverted method, and the number of shots

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CathyWeeks

#1: Post by CathyWeeks »

So, I just prepared my first inverted recipe, and it called for 2 shots.

In the traditional configuration, the number of shots corresponds to the same marking on the Aeropress. 2 shots, means fill it to the 2 marking. But in the inverted position, the number of shots isn't going to line up in the same way. So, when working with inverted recipes, is the common lingo a reference to the actual number of shots, or the marking on the Aeropress? ie, fill it to the equivalent of 2 shots (the 3 position in the inverted configuration), or fill it to the 2 marking (which would be the equivalent to 3 shots)?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Cathy,

I've never seen an Aeropress recipe call for shots, but it's been quite a while since I've used one. I've always seen it called out in grams or ml.

Here's my go-to, looks like from seven years ago now, Brandon Paul Weaver's NW regional AeroPress Championship recipe from 2012 here.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Shawnaks5 »

I've owned an aeropress for a couple of years now. I've never used the numbers on the tube for anything. There are so many recipes and techniques out there and it's a pretty big rabbit hole in itself. My go-to Aeropress recipe (using the inverted method btw): 20g coffee ground on the finer side of medium, 201deg water, pour enough water to cover the grounds and stir to saturate all the grounds, let set for 20sec to bloom, then fill the rest of the way up, pre-wet filter, install filter, flip and press. I usually don't add water to my cup after but you may want to depending on the taste.

All of these variables are adjustable to your own taste depending on the type of coffee and how it's roasted etc. Experiment to find what you like. There are also a few metal filters out there if you want to go down that road too. "Aesir" makes a nice alternative paper filter as well if you want a little more clarity in your cup.

CathyWeeks (original poster)

#4: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Cathy,

I've never seen an Aeropress recipe call for shots, but it's been quite a while since I've used one. I've always seen it called out in grams or ml.
It's in the recipes in the iOS app "Aeropress Timer". The app allows you to use simple (scoops and shots) or weight-based measurements (grams). I've been using the simple because the one piece of equipment that I draw the line at including in my travel kit, is a scale.

I use an Acaia scale at home, combined with the Fellow Duo brewer a, Lido2 grinder, and a Fellow EKG kettle. But all of those are pretty big and heavy to lug around (and the Duo has a glass component so not a great choice anyway).

I've been traveling with my own equipment for years, my rarely-used Porlex, and an all-stainless French Press, and I recently added a travel kettle and a thermometer. But my FP coffee was always no better than mediocre (despite its brewing similarities to the Duo) and I got really tired of that.

So, I switched to the Aeropress for travel, and have set myself to making every single recipe in the Aeropress Timer App, figuring out what I like, tinkering with the recipes, and then I'd FINALLY have good coffee when I'm away from home. My new Feld2 grinder has helped me with this enormously, making it easy to tinker with the grind.

Anyway, I've gotten some very good cups with shots and scoops (instead of grams the way I normally would), so I am confident I can make do without the scale.

But ... I can certainly look at the weight measurements to see if they change between traditional and inverted. If "one shot" has the same weight between both methods, then I'll have my answer.

#5: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Cathy,

Here's my go-to, looks like from seven years ago now, Brandon Paul Weaver's NW regional AeroPress Championship recipe from 2012 here.
Oooh! That recipe is included in my app. It's called "The Weaver." I've got two other recipes to work through before I get to that one, though (total of 27). When I switch the measurement units to weights, it's exactly the same recipe.

#6: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

This is the app, if people are interested: http://aeropresstimer.com/

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

I used to carry a small scale as part of my travel rig. It was so tiny and only weighed 135g. But after a while I found I was happy to just fill my mini Porlex grinder to the top instead. I don't even know how many grams that usually is. Maybe 25? The amount of coffee is going to vary with any volumetric approach but it's not like it really matters that much as it only affects the strength of the coffee, not the extraction balance. I don't measure the water volume with any great precision either. In my experience the Aeropress doesn't care that much what you do. That's one of its virtues.

I don't even carry a thermometer in my travel kit anymore.

MoJOE

#8: Post by MoJOE »

You could try to lock in your paper filter and filter cap standing upright (in the traditional method), fill with coffee to the number desired, insert the inner component, flip and unscrew the filter cap to start brewing coffee.

This way you'll have your desired unit of measurement and still use the inverted method.

curmudgeon

#9: Post by curmudgeon »

CathyWeeks wrote:Oooh! That recipe is included in my app. It's called "The Weaver." I've got two other recipes to work through before I get to that one, though (total of 27). When I switch the measurement units to weights, it's exactly the same recipe.
Only 27 recipes? Psh. What is this, amateur hour? You need THIS.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

You could also insert the piston to the number you're interested in and then fill to the top. You'd probably need to pull the piston down slightly before putting the cap on but that should give you the correct measurement.

Ira