Aeropress: Budget metal filters

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jamesp

#1: Post by jamesp »

Hi All,

I've had an aeropress for a few years now and I've started using it on a daily basis (less coffee at work). I'm thinking of buying a metal filter and I was wondering whether anyone had tried the 'budget' versions.

The go to filters seem to the Kaffeologie S, the IMS super fine disc, the Able Fine, the Kohi Labs filter but these are £20+ once delivery is factored in.

Having looked on the web there are a few clones of the above made by Yolococa and Purposefull. (I won't link just incase that's not allowed).

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks

bruc33ef

#2: Post by bruc33ef »

I use the Able standard and it works fine. It allows a bit of sludge through compared to the paper but to me that's just emblematic of more body. Sometimes, and for some beans, I want that and the Able standard is a good tool in my tool box. I've read that it's also more durable than the fine version.

What I'm waiting for, though, as far as a metal filter goes, is the new Cafflano Kompact, which comes out next month:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... nd-cold-br

That thing just might be an Aeropress Killer. Smaller footprint, easier to use, less chance of accidents, can be used over a paper cup, uses the inverted method as standard, you can use with a paper filter if you want. Costs a bit more but may be worth it. Essentially, it's a cross between an Aeropress and an accordion. Sexy little beast.

Felice

#3: Post by Felice »

I use an El cheapo of unrecalled origin and it's totally fine. (pun not intended but noticed.)

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

I tried the IMS metal filter, but didn't like the sludge. One of the best attributes of an Aeropress is the excellent body combined with a clean cup.

It might be heresy, but I found Aeropress paper filters to be reusable about 4-5 times before they crap out. Just peel it off the puck, rinse and set aside. They shrink a bit, but re-expand when whetted.

Chosemerveilleux

#5: Post by Chosemerveilleux »

I have the Able fine and extra fine filters and the Kaffeologie S filters. I honestly haven't used the Able filters much since I got the Kaffeologie filter. All of them give a bit of sludge compared to the paper filters, but really open up the cup. I feel that there's a bigger difference between metal and paper when using the aeropress than when doing pour overs. The Kaffeologie is a fantastic filter.
LMWDP #245
I am not young enough to know everything. Oscar Wilde