Adjusting extraction for natural processed coffees

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ShotClock »

A recent post from Luca set off a lightbulb for me - naturals are much easier to extract than washed coffees at a given roast level. Even ultra-light roasted naturals, I find that I can easily overextract, while washed coffees can be pushed almost as hard as you like, before getting into bitterness and astringency.

My question then is how to address this in the brew parameters - should I be grinding coarser, reducing water temp, or reducing contact time? For the sake of completeness, I'm normally brewing with an aeropress, but pourover recommendations would be gratefully accepted too.

Sidebar - Maybe this increased solubility is what makes naturals effective for espresso: they give up their contents so easily, and increase the viscosity of the liquid, thus helping to build pressure in the same manner that darker roasts do.

maxovst

#2: Post by maxovst »

Hello there, Im currently working with a Natural Etiopian Coffee, and I had the same issue.

To adress that problem I've adjust the ratio of the extraccion. If in a single cup I use 20g of gorund coffee to 300 ml in a 1:15 ratio, ill put more coffee to extraxt that same amount, maybe 22g or 23 gr. Or I simply pour less water, maybe 250ml.

Phobic

#3: Post by Phobic »

ShotClock wrote:My question then is how to address this in the brew parameters - should I be grinding coarser, reducing water temp, or reducing contact time? For the sake of completeness, I'm normally brewing with an aeropress, but pourover recommendations would be gratefully accepted too.
grinding coarser will reduce contact time because the water flows faster, so yes grind coarser.

I personally don't mess around with temp, I prefer to just change 1 variable, that way you know what's going on, changing grind is much easier.

Aeropress is an immersion brewer, you're really going to struggle hard to over extract in an immersion, different story for pour over though.