2022 WBrC competitor shows why following recipes is futile [video]

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Elysia Holmes, who competed in the 2022 World Brewer's Cup, explains in 8:30 why you shouldn't use her recipe.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★★★ Very Helpful

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Craig, what an eye-opener this is. Thank you for posting the video!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jpender

#3: Post by jpender »

She is very interesting to listen to. Quite smart and charming. I watched her video where she showed off her coffee cup collection. She had some very insightful comments about how cups influence perception of the coffee you're drinking.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Her YouTube channel is only a couple months old - so far I have enjoyed all of her content. (She's been in coffee for a few years.)

coyote-1

#5: Post by coyote-1 »

jpender wrote:She is very interesting to listen to. Quite smart and charming. I watched her video where she showed off her coffee cup collection. She had some very insightful comments about how cups influence perception of the coffee you're drinking.
Perception is huge. Those of us old enough to remember the Pepsi Challenge and New Coke understand.... virtually every endeavor that is not strictly data-driven is dependent upon perception. In espresso, it means I'm gonna insist on some crema when it is served to me at a cafe or restaurant. Even though there are some who say that crema detracts from the flavor of espresso. And it better not be served in a mere coffee cup

Shojin

#6: Post by Shojin »

That was interesting/coffee is so annoying.

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

Thanks for sharing.

I don't vary my po technique that much, nor stick with one coffee to need to vary technique around it. And I don't find most coffeeshops I have access to can deliver a worthy pourover. BUT I find my pourovers tasty, and the next time one is not, I will use some of these tips.
LMWDP #198

Yan

#8: Post by Yan »

Interesting video...btw anyone trying the Cafec TH3 and compare to the hario box untab edition...

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to Yan »

FYI, cafune.ca says that the filter paper used in the TH-3 Specialty is the same paper as used in the T-92 Medium Dark filters (high crepe inside and out).

(Also T-90 Light is TH-1 - low outside crepe, no inside crepe; and T-83 Dark is TH-2 - low crepe inside and out.)

Yan

#10: Post by Yan »

Thanks Craig...I used the T-92 Medium paper in the past but not impressed by results in the cup, now I am using the Origami Size 4 cup paper pretty much as good as the Hario tabless.