2022 WBrC competitor shows why following recipes is futile [video] - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
5cylinders

#11: Post by 5cylinders »

I stick to Cafec T90 for small dose (roughly 12g-14g), T83 for big dup(20g+) . Reason: T90 is slow, T83 fast. That makes it less labrous to adjust other variables.

pavel

#12: Post by pavel »

While not his number one fan, I do prefer Hoffmann and his scientific approach.
I mean, she talks about humidity, etc... Was it the reason why she had to change recipe? Or was the main reason different coffee, different water - hence, yes, you have to apply some changes to get the most out of the coffee?
Again, it's hard to check for us "avg" people. But someone like Hoffmann could do it. Put A/C in one room, nothing in the other (on the hot, humid day). Grind/brew two coffee same beans, grinder, recipe, etc. but different humidity. Tbh, I don't think there will be much, if any difference.
Same goes for pours. Perhaps I'm wrong. But honestly, I don't think you will notice much, if any, difference pouring 50-50-60-70 vs 50-70-70-40, while everything else remains the same.

In my humble opinion, the most important is personal taste. Second - coffee itself (country/region, quality, roast). Third, grinder and water. Last, the recipe/technique. This last step is where you take any decent one (copy any WBC) and change grind size, perhaps ratio or do any other small adjustments to get most out of the coffee you got with the equipment you got.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

The details of her WBrC routine; coffee, roasting, water, brewers, filters, etc., are covered elsewhere. She just used humidity as an example.

However, that is not the point of this particular video. The point is that in WBrC one has to roast, work, and brew under strict limiting conditions, environment, rules, and objectives (winning) that do not apply anywhere else, especially at home - so copying those techniques may not make sense unless you are under those same limitations. Offhand, I know Patrik Rolf of April and Tetsu Kasuya have made the same point with respect to WBrC, and James Hoffmann has made the same point, although primarily with respect to espresso. I just liked her concise presentation of that point.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

5cylinders wrote:I stick to Cafec T90 for small dose (roughly 12g-14g), T83 for big dup(20g+) . Reason: T90 is slow, T83 fast.
FWIW that does not line up with my experience of those filters. Unless you meant T92 (light) when you wrote T90 (medium dark)

5cylinders

#15: Post by 5cylinders replying to Jonk »

T92 is way too slow, get clogged easily. It's likely that my grinder and Ethiopian beans make some difference.