Zerno grinder - best burrs for high clarity/brightness light roast espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ursego

#1: Post by Ursego »

Questions for Zerno owners who use SSP burrs for light roast espresso:
  • Which kind of burrs did you buy - HU, MP or LS?
  • What your impressions and ideas are?
  • Would you choose the same kind again if you would buy Zerno today?
The generally accepted opinion is that HU is the best for espresso, LS - for non-espresso, and MP is a compromise for both the methods. However, the guys in this topic say it's not that simple...

I pre-ordered a grinder similar to Zerno (vertical 64 mm burrs with a pre-breaker), so your opinion is especially valuable for me. I chose HU but can change to another SSP prior to shipment. Maybe, you will want to reply in the topic I provided, so more people read your comment.

Thanks!!!

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Ursego wrote:I pre-ordered a grinder similar to Zerno (vertical 64 mm burrs with a pre-breaker),
Mazzer? I'm dying to find out. :)

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

FYI, I split your question from the (nearly) metathread Zerno grinder to this thread in the Buying Advice forum. We do this to separate owner usage discussions from potential owner questions since the former can be easily be overrun by the latter.
Ursego wrote:...the guys in this topic say it's not that simple...
We also encourage posters to keep one thread per buying decision versus spreading it among multiple threads and forums, if only so readers can follow the entire context. That said, I didn't merge this one with your previous one on nearly the same question, so readers of this thread may wish to review that one before responding here...
Dan Kehn

Gpinch1

#4: Post by Gpinch1 »

I have a Zerno.
I bought it for espresso only.
I like medium roast beans for traditional syrupy espresso.

Initially, I used the HU (blind) burrs but switched them out to Mazzer burrs.
At this point, I prefer the Mazzer.

The reality is I may be better suited for a conical grinder based on my personal taste preference.
As I said I like thick, syrupy traditional espresso.

TheJoePro

#5: Post by TheJoePro »

I have both a Zerno and Niche Zero and absolutely love playing with both. The Zerno has been amazing in bringing out some brighter notes in my lighter roasts. I do still enjoy the niche for more full-body shots. I've only had the HU burrs in the Zerno at this point, but may consider investing in a Mazzer set.

If anyone is on the fence about the Zerno, don't hesitate on the next round as it's well worth it!

Gpinch1

#6: Post by Gpinch1 »

The Zerno grinder is amazing.
There is some issues with retention but Zerno is redesigning the exit chute and I feel that will resolve it.

retireddude

#7: Post by retireddude »

Gpinch1 wrote:I have a Zerno.
The reality is I may be better suited for a conical grinder based on my personal taste preference.
As I said I like thick, syrupy traditional espresso.
Looks like you have a Key grinder. I've wondered about how that grinder performs, does it produce a rich and textured shot? Some things I've read about it make it sound as though the body is kind of thin for a conical. Just curious. I really like the look of the Key.

Ursego (original poster)

#8: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Thanks for your replies, guys!
Capuchin Monk wrote:Mazzer? I'm dying to find out. :)
It's Gevi GrindMaster. It's similar to Zerno in the sense that it also has vertical 64 mm burrs with a pre-breaker and (for some extra charge) SSP burrs. It also has variable RPM (500 to 1500 with 100 RPM steps), so setting it to 900 will maximize the similarity with Zerno.

My current plan is to replace my Niche Zero with TimeMore Sculptor 078s for dark roast (its burr has a "conical-like" profile but better than NZ, as per Lance) and use the ordered GGM for light and medium roast. I have chosen SSP HU but it's possible to switch to another SSP before they begin to ship.