Your thoughts on trusted espresso machine manufacturers - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bluenoser

#11: Post by Bluenoser »

You can't get anything that can make really good espresso for much under $1500 with machine & grinder..

Bottom end espresso grinder: Sette 270 (not 30 and not WI ).. I think you can get these about $500.. The Niche Zero is great for extra $200-$300. I have had Sette 270 for about 1.5 years and works great.

I think you can find a Breville/ Sage BDB 920XL (Breville Double Boiler) for less than $1000 US. Get as long a warranty as possible, some have gotten a 4 year warranty by using a certain credit card (2 yr doubled by card)..

This will be easy to use, but you will still need to learn some about what espresso is all about. Times for extraction, how to dial in a grind, etc. But the learning curve on these 2 machines should be only a month or so. Lots of help here.

Don't get a machine with grinder built in.. I started out spending $500 (DeLonghi) and was very disappointed within 1 month.. ended up spending $3k.. No point in trying to stay under $1000 if you outgrow pretty quickly. The machines above will mean it might take longer to get something that tastes good, but you'll be much happier in the long run if you put some minimal time in learning about espresso extraction

pcrussell50

#12: Post by pcrussell50 »

I wish I could find it but Jim Schulman wrote a single paragraph masterpiece on the OP's subject title.

I know I'll botch something in trying to paraphrase it but it has something to do with one's capability and preferences as a do-it-yourselfer. Because all machines that deal with heat and pressure, water and electricity, are going to require servicing. All of them. So the boogie man in all this is the "S" word... Shipping.

1) If you are not going to be doing your own maintenance: a) There are machines sold with a maintenance "program", where you pay a fixed fee per repair no matter what, which includes shipping both ways, and a new machine if they can't fix yours in three days.
b) alternately, you include in your machine selection criteria, whether or not the machine you are interested in, has professional service in your locale

2) it's always best to have or at least develop a modicum of DIY skills:
a) There are some machines that require only the most rudimentary skills and no special tools.
b) And there are machines that require a little more than just that, and more frequent servicing, too.

Switching gears to specific experience. I have several machines, two levers and a pump. My pump machine is both category 1a, and category 2a. In eight years, I've only sent it off one single time for professional repair, and even at that, it was still working fine. Everything else has been simple screwdriver and needle nose pliers stuff. No disassembly or fancy work.

My two lever machines, while simpler and more robust in appearance, sometimes require a little more skill and slightly more specialized tools when they need maintenance. I have also done a few small mods to make them a little more maintenance-friendly that I have not had to do on my super duper dual PID, dual stainless boiler, whiz bang programmable pre infusion pump machine.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Bluenoser

#13: Post by Bluenoser »

one thing not mentioned often is the water you use. Some minerals (calcium mostly) in water cause scale which kills any machine over a few years. You can extend the life of your machine greatly by using good water. Assuming you get something with a tank that you need to fill, you might want to get a 5 gal water jug and buy good RO or distilled water and then add minerals to improve taste. I add Third Wave packets (espresso mix) but there are many other options.

Seems like a nuisance, but really a part of the whole process. Ideally you don't want to have to descale your machine.

AlanB1976 (original poster)

#14: Post by AlanB1976 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the input. Lots for me to think about. I might have to go for a staged approach or just deal with terrible instants for a while longer as I just can't afford more than 1000 at the moment. Even that would have to be hidden from the wife until she starts appreciating the coffees I make her.

So I understand that grinders are the key piece of machinery...... but why? I can't understand what makes a 700 buck grinder better than a similar burr grinder of 300. Is it consistent grind or fineness or...???

Mrboots2u

#15: Post by Mrboots2u replying to AlanB1976 »

Not saying a 700 bucks grinner does this better than a 300 buck grinder but in general yes you are hopefully paying for something that makes a more consistent grind.
Your grinder will coffee beans into bigger and smaller bits. All get to face the wrath of hot water for 30 seconds ish or so, if they are different shapes and sizes then different things happen to them over this 30 seconds or more process.
Bad analogy for the day no 1 -
Imagine cooking a steak, some of it is 2 inches thick another piece half an inch thick , you cook em for the same time at the same heat, the result would not be the same. Now cut up two pieces one from each and eat and chew at the same time.......

Bluenoser

#16: Post by Bluenoser »

New Sette 270 is 400us. Look for a used Breville 920xl less than one year old. But ask what they used for water. If they don't know anything about water quality don't purchase.

Espresso_Junky

#17: Post by Espresso_Junky »

AlanB1976 wrote:Thanks for all the input. Lots for me to think about. I might have to go for a staged approach or just deal with terrible instants for a while longer as I just can't afford more than 1000 at the moment. Even that would have to be hidden from the wife until she starts appreciating the coffees I make her.

So I understand that grinders are the key piece of machinery...... but why? I can't understand what makes a 700 buck grinder better than a similar burr grinder of 300. Is it consistent grind or fineness or...???
Contrary to popular belief, great/consistent espresso doesn't have to cost a small fortune. People read things like that and instantly get intimidated and don't pursue any further. Granted you might not be into buying used, but my entire setup (roaster included) cost me at most $1,200 and is easily on par with anything I've used in the past, which is above the budget of many. I bought most of it used (but barely used) and gave it a good cleaning, dialed things in and let it roll. Cheaper/lower tier equipment can be quite capable if you're willing to put in some time/effort/patience. Those on forums/subs that think thousands MUST be spent are simply lacking in a few areas.

pcrussell50

#18: Post by pcrussell50 »

Bluenoser wrote:New Sette 270 is 400us. Look for a used Breville 920xl less than one year old. But ask what they used for water. If they don't know anything about water quality don't purchase.
Scale will sooner or later destroy any machine. This is good advice.

I don't want to throw water on the party, but for some reason, BDB's in good working order command what in my opinion is too high a price... Close enough to new (if you buy $999 from Costco, or using the 20% off coupon at Bed Bath Beyond). But I suppose if you keep shopping diligently, you can get a reasonable used price on one. The wildcard is if you can find one for really cheap, that has "problems" due to failure to change the o-rings. Because most of the "problems" from failure to change the o-rings disappear when the steam leak stops and the machine dries up. Only rarely is there permanent damage. And the o-ring job is super duper easy. Next wildcard is if the steam boiler isn't working any more. This is usually because of a descale process that went wrong. It's usually no more than the thermal protection fuse melted. Those can be replaced with soldering iron and a new fuse for a couple of bucks... but it's probably a couple hours of your labor if you are game to remove the boiler and get to the thermal fuse. After that, the machines are pretty much bullet proof. The pumps are standard Italian Ulkas like all the higher end vibe pump machines, ($27 delivered Amazon Prime), the solenoids use a standard Lucifer base and are also Italian Olabs. The tubing is 4mm OD PTFE available online for cheap all day long. You can use any OPV that fits Ulka pumps. I replaced mine with a brass one. It's also super easy to plumb it in and convert to a rotary pump.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

thirdcrackfourthwave

#19: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Espresso_Junky wrote:Contrary to popular belief, great/consistent espresso doesn't have to cost a small fortune. People read things like that and instantly get intimidated and don't pursue any further. Granted you might not be into buying used, but my entire setup (roaster included) cost me at most $1,200 and is easily on par with anything I've used in the past, which is above the budget of many. I bought most of it used (but barely used) and gave it a good cleaning, dialed things in and let it roll. Cheaper/lower tier equipment can be quite capable if you're willing to put in some time/effort/patience. Those on forums/subs that think thousands MUST be spent are simply lacking in a few areas.
+1. And then there is also the law of diminishing returns. A lot of folks won't notice the difference with milk heavy drinks.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mgwolf »

Alan,
I get the impression (I may be wrong) that you're thinking about putting your toe in the water of espresso machines. I think it boils down to your interest in learning some new skills in producing espresso. If you (or your wife) just want your morning coffee without too much bother, please get a Nespresso machine. It's relatively inexpensive, makes quite passable espresso and comes with a decent milk frother.

If you don't mind a learning curve and want a new hobby, get some equipment. I think your $1000 budget will be tough if you buy new. Would be worth saving up another $500 and getting some half-way decent stuff to start with. Most of the routine maintenance on simpler machines is fairly easy.