Would you purchase La Marzocco GS3 MP today?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
iamamar

#1: Post by iamamar »

Would you still buy a LM GS3 today? Does the timeless aesthetics and heritage of the brand hold up in the of the future of espresso machines?

Am I thinking straight or just can't get past the dream of owning a LM.

In all seriousness I am ready to make a purchase. I was set on the LMLM but after the price increase and getting comfortable with spending $$$ on a machine the GS3 became a viable option.

I think about the Decent DE1 v1.3 often as well. But I feel if I go that route my journey won't end it will just pause for a little bit.

I want to purchase a machine that will be with me for a decade, that gives the feeling that I get from my Leica cameras.

So my question for GS3 owners. If you are buying a machine today in the year 2020. What would you purchase!?

Notes : I will use the tank for now. I have a Niche grinder. Currently use a Flair and Robot to learn about espresso in making and which roasts I like. Mostly have been extracting light/medium single origins from a few different roaster subscriptions.

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

You should ask yourself what are the reasons for purchasing a LMLM. What features does it have that other machines don't, what makes it special, why does it pull a good shot. If you can't articulate the benefits especially the technical ones clearly...ask yourself if you are buying brand and marketing.

Build quality is often touted but what does that actually mean to you, how repairable is it, how expensive are parts.

I see loads of these sort of threads prior to people buying a LMLM and "joining the club", they often seem to be an exercise in self validation rather than a statement of what you really want from an espresso machine and then buying the machine that gives you that. Perhaps it's a slayer you really need, or just a lowly HX machine, mabye even a Lever, or the electronic cleverness/complexity of the DE1.
★ Helpful

jpsm

#3: Post by jpsm »

iamamar wrote:Would you still buy a LM GS3 today? Does the timeless aesthetics and heritage of the brand hold up in the of the future of espresso machines?

Am I thinking straight or just can't get past the dream of owning a LM.

In all seriousness I am ready to make a purchase. I was set on the LMLM but after the price increase and getting comfortable with spending $$$ on a machine the GS3 became a viable option.

I think about the Decent DE1 v1.3 often as well. But I feel if I go that route my journey won't end it will just pause for a little bit.

I want to purchase a machine that will be with me for a decade, that gives the feeling that I get from my Leica cameras.

So my question for GS3 owners. If you are buying a machine today in the year 2020. What would you purchase!?

Notes : I will use the tank for now. I have a Niche grinder. Currently use a Flair and Robot to learn about espresso in making and which roasts I like. Mostly have been extracting light/medium single origins from a few different roaster subscriptions.
I would buy a speedster or slayer if it was sold at SRP/RRP in my country but I do not see that happening any time soon so with that said, I would still buy a GS3. No regrets here as it is really a fantastic machine and to be honest I could not imagine those other machines being much more premium than this one. Waking up to it every morning is the best part of my day! I have yet to try it out though in a commercial setting but I think it will do really well! I am setting up a cart for catering and ill be using my gs3.

A wise man once said......Buy once, Cry once! :P

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

I've used the other machines extensively (Slayer, Decent, Mina, E61 DB's, L1R, etc) I've opened my MP since 2012, if I didn't have any machines but have the experience with the others I've used, the answer for me is yes. (Either flavor btw, now that it is simple to add the needle valve mod to a AV, but for me I would keep an MP).

iamamar (original poster)

#5: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:You should ask yourself what are the reasons for purchasing a LMLM. What features does it have that other machines don't, what makes it special, why does it pull a good shot. If you can't articulate the benefits especially the technical ones clearly...ask yourself if you are buying brand and marketing.

Build quality is often touted but what does that actually mean to you, how repairable is it, how expensive are parts.

I see loads of these sort of threads prior to people buying a LMLM and "joining the club", they often seem to be an exercise in self validation rather than a statement of what you really want from an espresso machine and then buying the machine that gives you that. Perhaps it's a slayer you really need, or just a lowly HX machine, mabye even a Lever, or the electronic cleverness/complexity of the DE1.
I understand all the points you raised and I have asked and answered most of those questions. Usually at the end of endless research and soul searching I do find it comforting to get feedback from the community.

I'm not a fanboy or looking for prestige. I go through this same exercise when buying a $5000 camera lens. I could buy something far less expensive and still get the same results. In the end it is just a tool.

My gut tells me this is a timeless machine and piece of history. Even as the industry advances this machine will always be able to produce quality espresso in an analogue way with just enough digital touches.

You're absolutely right, I totally agree with your feedback. I'm just asking because we all quarantined, making more coffee than usual at home, might as well ask to see what reflection comes out of this question!

#6: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:I would buy a speedster or slayer if it was sold at SRP/RRP in my country but I do not see that happening any time soon so with that said, I would still buy a GS3. No regrets here as it is really a fantastic machine and to be honest I could not imagine those other machines being much more premium than this one. Waking up to it every morning is the best part of my day! I have yet to try it out though in a commercial setting but I think it will do really well! I am setting up a cart for catering and ill be using my gs3.

A wise man once said......Buy once, Cry once! :P
The Slayer is sweet. I'm just not a fan of those X legs. I thought it might grow on me, but it has not yet. I know it's just a design detail and I should be more concerned about the quality in the cup. But at that level of investment you should love the design of what you are looking at everyday! Glad you are enjoying the GS3. Thanks for the feedback.

#7: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

danetrainer wrote:I've used the other machines extensively (Slayer, Decent, Mina, E61 DB's, L1R, etc) I've opened my MP since 2012, if I didn't have any machines but have the experience with the others I've used, the answer for me is yes. (Either flavor btw, now that it is simple to add the needle valve mod to a AV, but for me I would keep an MP).
I wish I had those opportunities to use all those machines! That would really help understand the nuances and intangibles. I imagine the differences are subtle but just impactful enough to create a joy of use that surpasses the experiences with other machines.

russel

#8: Post by russel »

I've owned 2 GS3s (both AV), and I have no intention of ever owning one again. It's a highly capable machine that is unique in its blending of commercial capabilities with domestic conveniences and features. If this special sort of "balance" does it for you then it's the best and maybe only ticket in town, buy it and try not to look back. For me, I'm not interested in making compromises in the name of "balance" on a machine in its price range...I keep about 5 to 10 machines around that have something special about them that I enjoy. I want more than "balance", I want character, or vision, or history, or expression!

Right now there are actually a fair number of machine in active production that I would consider truly timeless (the GS3 is not one of them): Robot, Cremina, Speedster, and the Steitman machines
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

iamamar wrote:The Slayer is sweet. I'm just not a fan of those X legs.
The X legs are vastly improved if you powdercoat them to your liking.

OP have you read this thread?
Difference between Slayer and La Marzocco GS3 MP preinfusion

The water issue in that thread is something to consider if you can't plumb in.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

If I could afford such a machine what would scare me the most is the complexity of fixing it

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”