Would you purchase La Marzocco GS3 MP today? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
iamamar (original poster)

#11: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

russel wrote: Right now there are actually a fair number of machine in active production that I would consider truly timeless (the GS3 is not one of them): Robot, Cremina, Speedster, and the Steitman machines
Thanks for sharing your insights! Those are wonderful machines, especially the levers. I am happy with my manual levers or I would have gone the direction of the Cermina.

Care to briefly explain why you did not enjoy the GS3 AV machines?

#12: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:The X legs are vastly improved if you powdercoat them to your liking.

OP have you read this thread?
Difference between Slayer and La Marzocco GS3 MP preinfusion

The water issue in that thread is something to consider if you can't plumb in.
Thanks for link. I totally missed it that thread, it was a good read.

I'm aware of the water waste. It's a negative to the workflow. I do intend to plumb in the machine sooner than later.

Advertisement

#13: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

slipchuck wrote:If I could afford such a machine what would scare me the most is the complexity of fixing it
The range of user experiences are wide. Some owners have a yearly maintence with no problems and others are constantly fixing issues. Luck of the draw I guess!

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

Since I am in the process of planning my soon-to-be coffee bar I have gone through the "should I buy a ..." as you are currently. The GS3 was one of the machines I considered. I started a thread "On choosing a pressure or flow profiling espresso machine" here on HB. Also check the last three chapters of my blog as they cover my decision making process in more detail. Not inferring that you should make the decision I did, but my process might help you find the factors most important to you.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

russel

#15: Post by russel »

iamamar wrote:Care to briefly explain why you did not enjoy the GS3 AV machines?
Well, I'm not a 1-machine person, so I'm not attracted to the GS3's ability to do everything anywhere with anyone. I'm not starstruck by the LM brand enough to get off on ownership alone. I've worked professionally on a bunch of LMs, most are machines not sculptures. I have aesthetic objects to the large amounts of tacitly unsatisfying plastic that are all over the place. I've never seen cosmetic mods that I like. Working on it is a pain...its cramped and bursting at the seams and doing anything is more of a pain than it is on a full size commercial machine. The brain box design asks to be flooded when anything leaks...and everything leaks eventually. I don't like the vast plastic drain box for a bunch of reasons, one of which is that excess heat can cause it to become brittle and crack. I don't like the weak and easily deformed front legs. I definitely don't like the ergonomics of the hot water wand activation. I don't like the keypad and the interface.

After rebuilding, using, and maintaining 2 GS3s that saw a lot of use, I'm just not interested anymore. It makes excellent espresso, and I'm sure the newer MP versions are interesting to play with. To my knowledge there are no other machines that match it's combination of quality-capacity-portability-flexibility. However, I didn't enjoy the experience of ownership and don't feel an attraction to its aesthetics, its "heritage", or its current offering of technical capabilities. I'm clearly in a minority with these views, and I guess that just makes be a bit of a GS3-curmudgeon.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

#16: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

russel wrote:Well, I'm not a 1-machine person, so I'm not attracted to the GS3's ability to do everything anywhere with anyone.
The use of plastic, location of the logic board, and the drain box I have read about before, but I did not know about the legs. You have certainly logged hours working on those machines. Thanks for sharing your experience, it does give me more to think about.

Do you feel that all LMs are prone to the same issues. Do you have any experience working on or with the Linea Mini?

#17: Post by iamamar (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:Also check the last three chapters of my blog as they cover my decision making process in more detail. Not inferring that you should make the decision I did, but my process might help you find the factors most important to you.
I saw you mention the blog in another post and read it a while back. It actually got me thinking about the Decent v1.3 again. i am so back and forth on the machine. I understand what it is about, the community, the infinite possibilities, the fast warm up, thermal management, profiling, etc, etc. I just wish it did not have the other handle on the group head -- it reminds me of bunny ears!

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Amar its funny that you say that, cause I have thought oh damn if I had to buy again would I get that bunny ear thing. It sure has all the bells and whistles and tech. Randy I am guessing you are going to love it.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

AssafL

#19: Post by AssafL »

I think I purchased my GS3 10 years ago. Probably a bit more.

I am not a standard user as (over time) I modified it to become more of a Strada EE. But I love it.

Russel is quite correct that it is a bit cramped in there, not that it prevented me from adding sensors and gear pumps and boards - but I had to think of where these would go. And it isn't spacious like 2 group Bosco's a friend has.

Yes - it does have plastic parts which either over time. Like the brain box, and the drain tray.

LM - as a company, helped me require mine for 220v. Funding spares and even doing mods. So did the many GS3 fans on these pages.

So the answer is yes. Now we're I in the market for my first major machine - would I still pick the GS3? That is a what if I wouldn't comment on. Back then it was nearly the only game in town (in its class). Now there are many more options to consider.

That said - I am staying the course with mine. (And the Versalab).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

I wouldn't dream of buying one new. But I would definitely buy a used one and mod it for proper flow control.

-Peter
LMWDP #553