Would Ceado E37S be an upgrade?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by baristainzmking »

This morning my hubby and I had the most unusual conversation. After fixing our morning lattes, we were sitting at the table, discussing the plans for the day. Then out of the blue, he says: "I noticed that you have been looking at the Ceado grinder for a while now. It came up multiple times in your history " (note to self - clean your history). And then the shocker: "If you really want this grinder so much and you think it will change your espresso, why don't you sell one of your grinders and upgrade to Ceado. I will happily pay for it as an early holiday present." I just sat in silence wondering who this person is and what did he do with hubby. He was the one who nearly had a heart attack when he saw the two I have on the counter on either side of my espresso machine. So I responded that I will think about it.

The question to you guys is this. Will, I really see/taste the difference in the cup? Is it worth going through all the trouble of selling one of the ones I have (Eureka Specialty and Sette 270Wi)?

TIA,
Julia

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

If speed of your current Eureka Specialty is a concern it will be addressed with the E37S listed at 5g/sec. The Ceado appears to exhibit low retention .5g+/- with the 83mm burrs tight to outer retaining wall. A huge step up in build quality vs Sette and 10's of decibels quieter also.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

JayBeck

#3: Post by JayBeck »

The Ceado is a very nice grinder. It's smaller than other grinders in its class, very quiet, and very low retention.

I have a few questions:

1. You presently have 2 grinders. Is one for hopper (Eureka)/ one for single dosing (Sette)? Two grinders for two different sets of beans at a time (regular / decaf; blend / single origin?
2. Depending on the answer above will help my advice for you.

The Sette is a very good single doser because it's no fuss, low retention, and fast. A Ceado E37S can single dose, but it takes a while and some 'fussing' to get the coffee out. I would only recommend the Ceado E37S for hopper dosing as that is where it excels. Its low retention is still nice as a hopper doser, meaning you don't have to purge much, if at all, in the morning. It's also super easy to clean, unlike other large titan grinders.

I have used both the Sette and the E37S. The E37S will bring out flavor that the Sette simply can't. Part of that is the Flat vs Conical; but mostly its because the Sette has a pretty 1 dimensional flavor that minute grind adjustments don't change. The E37S will allow you to make very small changes that you will taste in the cup.

So if you sold the Eureka and got the E37S, I think you could do a few neat things:

1. Fill E37S with whatever trendy single origin or light roast you are into; fill the Sette with decaf or a good comfort blend. Have 2 grinders ready to go at all times;

2. Fill E37S with whatever you primary, 'go to' espresso and keep the hopper ready to go and dialed in with that. Sette could be used for decaf or trying new beans in small batches to see if it's something you want to fill the E37S with.

My experience echo's other's on here: Sette is an incredible value and can get you into the game and be able to afford a nice machine. But the grinder is the most important part of the equation. A quality grinder that fits your needs will allow you to get the most out of your expensive beans.

I have a Monolith Flat because I wanted something to single dose (I switch coffee a lot) and I wanted a single grinder that could do both espresso and pourover. If I was purely in it for espresso, I would have kept my E37S as I don't think there is a single large flat hopper grinder better than it, especially for home use.

baristainzmking (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Hi Jay,

I will be using one for regular the other for decaf. At this time I can't decide which one should be relegated to which duty. That why I am using both for regular to see what I like better. I am single dosing both pretty much. But dial in Sette for decaf as well at night, as it is just easier. The grinder will be strictly for espresso.
Julia

JayBeck

#5: Post by JayBeck replying to baristainzmking »

That's a smart setup. I think if I were you I would take advantage of the 'free 30-day return' policy because until you try the Ceado E37S you are always going to wonder what you're missing and that 'bug' doesn't go away until you try that next upgrade, at least for me! Shipping cost will be around $50 each way so if you end up returning you're only out $100. In my opinion, $100 for 30 days of trying a top quality grinder is good entertainment value at a minimum -- you and your husband go to the movies and buy popcorn you're gonna spend north of $50 and that's for 2-3 hours of entertainment. Anyways, that's how I 'justify' things like that.

What you may find is that your current set up is perfect for you and now you know that for sure. You may also find that the E37S is a considerable upgrade to your current grinders and by having all 3 you can pick your 2 favorites. One nice thing about the wonderful HB community is you can help your old gear find a good home.

Let us know what you decide and enjoy the journey!

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Hi Jay,

Thank you for you thoughtful responses. I like the way you think!!! Having 3 to compare would be heavenly...but I am afraid hubby will never go for that. If I am to get the Ceado E37S, Eureka will have to go. I just need to decide if I really want to do that. I guess I can list the Specialita on the buy/sell and see where that goes.

Thanks again.
Julia

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

For some of us it's way more fun to get a roaster next. My Quest paid for itself in a couple of years based on not buying roasted coffee anymore.
LMWDP #603

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) replying to happycat »

Oh, no!!! Another toy to consider!! I am not so sure I have room for one. ;)
Julia

MNate

#9: Post by MNate »

I didn't follow my own advice but I think having the good setup you currently have I'd save and wait to get a Monolith, maybe "just" the conical. The Caedo is more than half way to that price and the itch for better won't stop with it, even though the Caedo appears to be a very good home grinder. I have a grinder somewhat similar and do really like it... but I'd wait (but I didn't). One grinder to rule them all.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) replying to MNate »

You know, that is a great advice Nate. If I will drop that much money, what's a bit more, right. ;) The set up I have is not bad. It's the upgraditis...

"just the conical"? Is that their entry level?
Julia