Wondering about a grinder in my budget.. Hamilton Beach 80405

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
shelbyevelyn

#1: Post by shelbyevelyn »

Hey all, this is my first post, so I'm a newbie. I have an old Breville DuoTemp (800ESXL). Up until now I've been getting the coffee shops to grind my beans for me, but that's been working out horribly so I need a grinder asap. I'm also going to be purchasing a bottomless portafilter and non-pressurized basket.
I've done a ton of reading and I know most of the recommended ones are $300+ just for entry level, but I really only have about half of that to spend.
Costco has a new grinder (can't find reviews anywhere online at all yet) and the description seems promising especially for the price point, but I wanted to see if anyone here knew anything about this grinder, or at the very least, get the opinion of people who know what they're talking about lol. It seems like it has a lot of grind options for dialling in, and I love that it has a scale and a portafilter holder.

https://www.costco.ca/hamilton-beach-pr ... 88146.html

Description:

The finely crafted stainless steel conical burr evenly grinds coffee to a uniform consistency so you can enjoy rich, full-bodied flavour.

Features:
- 39 grind selections
- Automatic mode
- Grinds 1 - 12 cups of coffee or select your desired amount of coffee by ounces or grams
- Grind for up to 60 seconds into your own portafilter, into the included coffee container, or into your own container
- Integrated scale
- Digital control panel and display

Thoughts?

dreadnatty08

#2: Post by dreadnatty08 »

Welcome, Shelby!
Honestly, in your budget, I would look towards a solid manual grinder. It'll take some effort and time to grind, but the results will be much better than any electric grinder in that price range. For under $200, the 1zpresso JX-Pro, OE Lido, Kinu Phoenix and Timemore Chestnut/G1 are all solid options that will have good burrs sets and will be able to let you dial in finely enough for espresso.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
LObin

#3: Post by LObin » replying to dreadnatty08 »

This.
Except these are USD prices.

The JX-pro is $218 cad. It has the smaller steps needed in order to dial-in espresso. Grind quality is not comparable to that Hamilton Beach. Miles better!

If you look on Kijiji, you'll find a ton of those or similar (bad) quality grinders (Cuisinart, Breville, Delonghi, etc.) for dirt cheap.

You can also keep an eye on your local classifieds for Lelit, Baratza (Vario or Sette 270), Avanti or Isomac.

In the end, you might need to spend between $200 and $300 but in comparison to the cost of a fresh bag of beans or a wasted one because it's been pre-ground... it's quite a good investment!

Welcome to HB!
LMWDP #592

Bluenoser

#4: Post by Bluenoser »

Yeah.. get a really good hand grinder.. I've used the Kinu Phoenix and it is great.. you can get from Cafune.ca in Canada. But there are other really good espresso hand grinders.. I'd not recommend the Sette 270 as it's plastic gears are prone to failing..

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Any electric grinder new at that price is unlikely to have either or both the grind uniformity and fine adjustability needed for espresso. Entry-level machines complicate things further as they can be optimized for a pressurized basket which can work against trying to use a conventional basket.

A hand grinder that people here say works for espresso would be a good choice. Just like electric grinder, many claim to be suitable for espresso, but really aren't. In addition to used home grinders, another option would be finding a commercial espresso grinder on the used market. As just one example, I keep seeing Mazzer grinders on the local Craigslist here. They're big and loud, but can produce great espresso.

tennisman03110

#6: Post by tennisman03110 »

I'll go a little in the opposite direction. I started with a Duo Temp and Baratza Encore, however the pressurized baskets. It worked well enough, if you'd consider that option and are tight on budget.

The Encore is superior to the Hamilton Beach.

It won't work with non-pressurized baskets. Like others said, hand grinder is your best bet there.

Moka 1 Cup

#7: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I have a Nice Zero.
However I also have Breville Smart Grinder Pro and I am quite happy with it. Very consistent, reliable, super clean (you don't eve need a funnel, even if I modified the portafilter holder that comes with the grinder in order to accommodate one). Definitely not able to do the fine tuning that the Nice allows to, but I find it perfectly ok. I had a Lido E manual grinder, an excellent manual grinder IMHO, however if I had to chose again I would go straight to the Smart Pro.
In short, I would definitely buy it again if I need an entry level.
Oh, wait. I did actually buy it again! In fact I have a second one for when I make espresso at the office :lol: .

(by the way, I am probably the only one here that may recommend it, so take it with a grain of salt....)
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Gingko

#8: Post by Gingko »

I can agree with some of the stated manual grinders - possibly commandante too. You could also look for used Sette 270 or baratza vario if you can increase your budget slightly, those can be found on fb marketplace or buy/sell forums for $200 or less if you're lucky. And I also haven't tried so may need some research, but the new kitchenaid grinder seemed to have decent reviews.