Wilfa Uniform - has anyone tried it?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Capac

#1: Post by Capac »

Hi,

the new wilfa uniform grinder has been out for almost a year, still only in Europe.

Has anyone tried it?

I'm considering it myself (I'm using a comandante for pour over) as it seems like a pretty good value and looks well built. The only concern I have with it is its grinding performance, as it uses (supposedly) the same burrs as found in mazzer mini. SSP now makes 58mm brewing burrs, but that costs over half what a new grinder is.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
OldmatefromOZ

#3: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Ive had one since they first came out, great grinder for filter and its been used heavily for many cuppings.
I prefer it in many blind cupping over Helor 101 with conventional burrs and Vario with steel burrs.
Using TWW water.
The scale / lid is rubbish, it would be better just ditch that entire concept.

njw

#4: Post by njw »

i am very surprised to hear that you prefer the mazzer burrs in the wilfa to the ditting burrs in the vario. can you extrapolate your preference for the wilfa with cupping to percolation methods or just immersion? do you feel your vario is well aligned and functioning properly?

Capac (original poster)

#5: Post by Capac (original poster) »

I've heard of many problems with vario's alignment as the burr carier is made out of plastic.

With the scale, I get the idea they want people to weight coffee, but people who spend this kinda money on a grinder already have a scale. I would prefer a metal lid perosnally and stick to acaia pearl.
OldmatefromOZ wrote:I prefer it in many blind cupping over Helor 101 with conventional burrs and Vario with steel burrs.

Was the difference very obvious or did it take a lot ob A/B testing?

OldmatefromOZ

#6: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Capac wrote:I've heard of many problems with vario's alignment as the burr carier is made out of plastic.

With the scale, I get the idea they want people to weight coffee, but people who spend this kinda money on a grinder already have a scale. I would prefer a metal lid perosnally and stick to acaia pearl.

Was the difference very obvious or did it take a lot ob A/B testing?
I found / still find difference between 101 and Wifla / Vario easier to pick.

Picking the Wilfa over Vario more than chance could still just be luck. Newer burrs Vs worn in burrs, Vario could be not aligned properly...

They all make good coffee and a lot of the clarity / slight bitterness issues i get with 101 can be somewhat mitigated by gradually tweaking the grind adjustment coarser until the extraction starts to head towards not enough, depending on coffee / roast.

Overall the Uniform is pretty good value, I like its simple design.

jpetrow

#7: Post by jpetrow »

I can confirm that at least for me the Wilfa Uniform has been the end game for off-the-shelf home filter grinder under 1k€. Having gone through Varios, Encores, older Wilfas, Niches etc., the Uniform comes out on top. For example difference is clear between Niche Zero and Wilfa Uniform, in favor of the latter for filter coffee.

I wouldn't use Wilfa Uniform for espresso, though. And the intagrated set of scales is just annoying since there's no timer and it's always on the way. Plus the app with Bluetooth is just plain useless. But the automated stop function is great.

Anyways simply as a filter coffee grinder Wilfa Uniform is hard to beat.

Advertisement
Capac (original poster)

#8: Post by Capac (original poster) »

I'm not sure if comandante is any better than helor, but I certainly prefer it over lido.

How big is the variance in doses you get with wilfa? Tim Wendelboe got 29.2g out of 30g when grinding for the first time; on a day to day, how much coffee do you lose to the grinder? Zero retention is one of the advantages of a hand grinder...

Also, how accurate do you find the adjustment for V60? I have red clix on my comandante and I find even one red click can make quite a big difference in extraction.

jpetrow

#9: Post by jpetrow »

For Wilfa Uniform the retention is really neglible after breaking in the grinder. Mine settled in to 0-0,3 grams and after that I haven't even bothered measuring output anymore. It's basically nothing that you can ever taste in the final product.

Capac (original poster)

#10: Post by Capac (original poster) »

I'm glad to hear that! Comandante has 0-0,1g (using a drop of water to mitigate static).

Another thing; how precise is the adjustment? The steps seem pretty big.