Wife demands better espresso machine - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
spopinski

#11: Post by spopinski »

Elizabeth

sosha
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by sosha »

Probably want to get a dual boiler, not a HX. Under 2K, your options are the BDB, Silvia Pro X, or the Profitec Pro 300. The La Spaz is also a great option, but the portafilter isn't 58mm.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Soharu

#13: Post by Soharu replying to sosha »

Don't forget the lelit elizabeth. It has good preinfusion capabilities

DamianWarS

#14: Post by DamianWarS »

Gargamel40 wrote:Surprise turn of events. While i was learning about espresso making online, my wife enrolled herself in barista class and now wants a proper espresso machine at home.

We want a reliable machine that has control option and sepparate dial for brewing water temperature and brew pressure. They need to be easily controlled and monitored.
Easy to maintain and easy access to water tank.
Preinfusion option.
Sepparate hot water outlet (i think all have that anyway)
Basic steaming milk option (not very important).
Fast heatup time (it's a bonus, but not very important).
Takes 58mm portafilter (we will use bottomless one and VST baskets).
RELIABLE!

Did we miss anything important?

I would love to be under 2000 with budget but let's talk options first.
as has been widely recommended the BDB seems to be the machine that would fit your list. The BDB stands for Breville Dual Boiler and it sells for about $1600 USD. Is a very capable machine you can also do something called a "slayer mod" on it which allows you to do pressure profiling. Lance Hedrick has good video on the machine and it might be handy to watch before considering it. Don't forget about the grinder too, a capable machine needs to be paired with a capable grinder.

zfeldman

#15: Post by zfeldman »

sosha wrote: The La Spaz is also a great option, but the portafilter isn't 58mm.
I never understand the lack of La Spaz love. I've had mine for 5 years, and though very, very lightly used was 10 years old when I got it. Still super reliable. And if anything ever goes wrong, a 2 min. call to Chris' Coffee gets problems figured out and new parts on the way. I still have upgraditis, but for something different (commercial lever? DE?) not a 'better' double boiler machine.

Keeping a BDB going strong for 15 years would probably be a lot of work. [Though I only know that from internet chatter since the one person I know with one got frustrated and ditched it for a Rocket within a year.]

OK31
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by OK31 replying to zfeldman »

In reference to BDB I'm one of the nay sayers on it. Have had it now for I think 4 years, sent back to breville at least a handful of times, received a BRAND NEW IN BOX as replacement under warranty (they were out of referbs) and had to send it back in for service within a year. after the year have had more issues. right now it does not steam any more (new development), the steam tip drips (fixed with o-rings) but to have them fix for $400 or put that $400 towards something that is not only more maintainable but better reliable is IMHO the way to go and if starting from beginning I'd advise staying as far away from this. Love the brand and it's great WHEN IT WORKS but g-d awful reliability.

Gargamel40 (original poster)

#17: Post by Gargamel40 (original poster) »

I decided for Profitec Pro 600. I feel it has all control i'll need for next couple years and i would like to stream milk for kids or my cappuccinos sometimes. It will pair with Eureka Mignon Oro XL grinder.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by baristainzmking »

Congratulations! Enjoy your new toys!
Julia

michael

#19: Post by michael »

zfeldman wrote:I never understand the lack of La Spaz love. I've had mine for 5 years, and though very, very lightly used was 10 years old when I got it. Still super reliable. And if anything ever goes wrong, a 2 min. call to Chris' Coffee gets problems figured out and new parts on the way. I still have upgraditis, but for something different (commercial lever? DE?) not a 'better' double boiler machine.

Keeping a BDB going strong for 15 years would probably be a lot of work. [Though I only know that from internet chatter since the one person I know with one got frustrated and ditched it for a Rocket within a year.]
Loved my spaz for close to 10 years and made some very good coffee but eventually got some new machines and am making better coffee; better temp control and stability; better preinfusion and a chance to use some of those things that work with 58mm 8)

boren

#20: Post by boren »

Gargamel40 wrote:I decided for Profitec Pro 600. I feel it has all control i'll need for next couple years and i would like to stream milk for kids or my cappuccinos sometimes.
That's a very good espresso machine, just make sure to let it warm up for 40+ minutes before using (long warm up time is common for all machines with E61 grouphead).