Why would you not buy a DE1? - Page 18

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BodieZoffa

#171: Post by BodieZoffa »

Ad-85 wrote:I skipped decent because I wanted thick espressos with less fuzz involved. Change this and that then start chasing that taste you want and always asking yourself what if I did that instead of this. You'll waste lots of expensive coffee beans before you know it (I'm talking about myself here not experienced owners who don't do this obviously and are happy with their decent machines).
Definitely can agree with the mouthfeel as for me heavy texture IS as important as taste and I simply won't compromise on that. Will also agree that many using a machine that allows so much change might sometimes spend more time/effort trying to dial in than actually enjoying the end result. To each their own though!

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#172: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to BodieZoffa »

DEs have generous headspace which results in sloppy pucks but increased clarity in the cup, apparently from in increased slurry. Decreasing the headspace not only gives you drier pucks but an increased mouthfeel which seems to check the box of those searching for that.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
timoseewho

#173: Post by timoseewho »

What's the material of the side (black part) of the machine?

John49

#174: Post by John49 » replying to timoseewho »

Powder coated metal.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#175: Post by Brewzologist »

DamianWarS wrote:DEs have generous headspace which results in sloppy pucks but increased clarity in the cup, apparently from in increased slurry. Decreasing the headspace not only gives you drier pucks but an increased mouthfeel which seems to check the box of those searching for that.
FWIW; I've been using a BPlus screen with my DE1, and when a good medium/dark roast is paired with my Niche Zero, I find the mouthfeel pleasing. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but find it comparable to other traditional/classic espressos I've enjoyed. And yes, the pucks are dry when using the BPlus and it helps keep the group head cleaner too.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#176: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to Brewzologist »

yes I've heard that works as well or also combining it with the dispersion screen mod. I've been using my DE stock but am considering looking at things like this to see what sort of impact it has on the shot but right now I'm having a local coffee sourcing problem that I need to fix. The BPlus is quite thick and I suspect reduces the headspace but also minimizes the slurry which from what I understand contributes to a more transparent shot with less body although I don't fully know why that is. Rao has been using his high extraction shots with paper filters, blooming and low pressure and no crema then turns around and says the crema isn't worth it anyway (like here). which reduces espresso to extraction percentages as the measure over things like texture and I think is the wrong emphasis. I'm still wondering why I'm not seeing a suggestion to just dose up still as if it's a cardinal sin to up dose a precision basket (which I believe are IMS for Decent). I'm sure you could put 20g or more in the 18g stock basket and reduce the headspace too.