Why would you not buy a DE1? - Page 17

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Espressoman007

#161: Post by Espressoman007 »

Jesse.F wrote:I'm sure it can make espresso better than my Carola does, but my Carola routinely makes better espresso than many of the shop around here. Until I spend more than 3k on a car, I can't really justify more than 3k on a coffee maker ha ha. I feel this thread is along the lines "why wouldn't you buy a Bently?"
You see I don't have that problem...but I always have that in my mind as comparison, instead of buying cars at all (don't have one)...I am buying espresso equipment...the limit is...whatever I got, hahaha.

Cheers!

Stavey

#162: Post by Stavey »

You only live once .

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Jesse.F

#163: Post by Jesse.F »

Espressoman007 wrote:You see I don't have that problem...but I always have that in my mind as comparison, instead of buying cars at all (don't have one)...I am buying espresso equipment...the limit is...whatever I got, hahaha.

Cheers!
I mean, people are gonna do what they're gonna do, and if the budget and desire allow, why not. I just have never understood the mentality of "if you can't get the absolute best of (whatever item is being discussed) then why get anything at all?

Parts of this discussion have had a bit of a "how dare the presents find joy in a hobby I also have, the only way to enjoy coffee is with "x" machine, you're all wrong for enjoying it for cheaper"

It should be noted, I haven't kept up with who said what, so I'm not saying you have put forth that attitude.

I certainly don't have the cheapest set up, nor the most expensive, but it brings joy to me when I use it all the same.

Ad-85

#164: Post by Ad-85 »

I skipped decent because I wanted thick espressos with less fuzz involved. Change this and that then start chasing that taste you want and always asking yourself what if I did that instead of this. You'll waste lots of expensive coffee beans before you know it (I'm talking about myself here not experienced owners who don't do this obviously and are happy with their decent machines).
LMWDB #691
hazelnhershey com sold me a faulty machine

Espressoman007

#165: Post by Espressoman007 »

Jesse.F wrote:I mean, people are gonna do what they're gonna do, and if the budget and desire allow, why not. I just have never understood the mentality of "if you can't get the absolute best of (whatever item is being discussed) then why get anything at all?

Parts of this discussion have had a bit of a "how dare the presents find joy in a hobby I also have, the only way to enjoy coffee is with "x" machine, you're all wrong for enjoying it for cheaper"

It should be noted, I haven't kept up with who said what, so I'm not saying you have put forth that attitude.

I certainly don't have the cheapest set up, nor the most expensive, but it brings joy to me when I use it all the same.
Man, I accidentally took your quote about cars. Didn't mean you at all when I wrote the post. I am just a silly guy who instead of having a car, has espresso equipment. And that's actually why I am laughing. I am driving my grinders and machines, I'm actually laughing at myself and to my addiction to spend all my money on coffee gear. :)))

Cheers!

TigerStripes

#166: Post by TigerStripes »

First off - I'll say the decent is the best thing to happen to espresso since PIDs - it's amazing. My friend has one and I've enjoyed tinkering with all the different profiles enormously.

Why wouldn't I buy one? It's $3,500 and if it breaks I can't fix it myself. I'm also not super fond of using a touch screen, and I find that the UI isn't immediately intuitive (not that any is).

I like having espresso machines that I understand how they work, and when a part wears out - I can go look it up and order a new one. The decent feels too much like a computer to me. If a circuit board konks out - I am at the mercy of finding a repair tech or shipping the machine somewhere far away to be worked on.

One more thing - the whole ethos of the decent is that more data will tell you what you are doing wrong and help you make good espresso. I've drank a lot of BAD espresso in my learning over the last few years - but now I'm consistently pulling out delicious nectar of the gods shots pretty much every morning, so I feel like any additional data is superfluous. :D

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#167: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to TigerStripes »

Of course you're right but for many they are using it to up their game from existing experience with espresso. Work flow and things like UI are all learnable things and soon it seems natural. Every machine has it's own work flow learning curve.

For more traditional machines your areas of control are things like grind size and dose, with PID controllers we can play with temp as areas of control and flow restrictors flow is now a variable we can control. The DE of course adds pressure control as well. There will be the user that doesn't understand what impact all these things have and just selects a profile and sticks with it but then there will be users that far greater understands the impact of all these variables and use them to get better espresso.

You can of course set a profile and just use the capacitive controls on the group head and not touch the tablet so in that respect is can operate similar to a typical machine. One thing however I don't like as much is the lack of tactile feedback especially in manual mode. A machine like this has the potential to have BT accessories to simulate the tactile feedback. It seems a little silly but it would be possible to have giant BT lever that feels and responds just like a traditional lever that controls the machines. I'm not sure however that AP is open to manufactures to make accessories like that or if there's even market for it but machines like the DE makes it possible.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
ziptie

#168: Post by ziptie »

All function. No form.
Normally, aesthetics are not a big deal to me. But for that kind of coin, it really ought to have some bling factor. It's got nothing goin on in looks department.

Scheissami

#169: Post by Scheissami » replying to ziptie »

Aesthetics are certainly a divisive subject. I much prefer the look of the Decent to the polished E61 boxes. It's not until you get to some seriously expensive machines with custom additions that I get stoked (Slayer, LM GS3-the LMLM is lovely, but for the wood trim kit you're looking at an additional $900 :shock: ).

NelisB

#170: Post by NelisB »

It looks and sounds like a Nespresso with an ipad on top. A Nespresso with an ipad come for much cheaper.