Why a used Super Jolly grinder should be on your wish list - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mini

#11: Post by mini »

marrahm wrote:Used SJ's are all over the place now -- it is easily the best $ you can spend for your espresso, in my opinion, and should be considered the standard entry level grinder for espresso regardless of machine.
I thought it was the best money I could have spent, and I don't even have an espresso machine yet.

Yup, after pouring through internet sites for months, I really took advice like this to heart. Aren't you proud... :D I never owned a blade grinder, instead skipping up to the Bodum Antigua, a very decent conical burr grinder (that my friend is now enjoying). I made great coffee using an Aeropress almost exclusively. I decided that I was committed to pursuing great coffee further, so I found a used Super Jolly on Craigslist for under 400 dollars. And it improved my Aeropress coffee tremendously as well!

Seriously, the craftsmanship is just stunning on the Super Jolly, and all grinders in its class. They are immensely satisfying to use, and they promote quality in the cup. I feel really confident that when I do get an espresso machine I will have the tools to make exceptional espresso.

Newbies like me, go get yourself a great grinder. You will never have regrets about doing so.
matt

da gino

#12: Post by da gino »

As for WAF, I was worried about being banished to grind in the basement or some other distant place, but when I brought home my gently used Super Jolly ('07) her comment was "wow that is beautiful." She does love good coffee and good food so that didn't hurt. I imagine a Robur might be a different story, but I'm such a big fan of the SJ that we will probably never find out about other grinders.

Phaelon56

#13: Post by Phaelon56 »

RapidCoffee wrote:According to W-D-H info on the Chris' Coffee website:

CMH: 8.5 (6.5 + 2) x 14 x 17
Super Jolly: 7.75 x 10.5 x 23.5
Major: 8 x 12.25 x 24.5

The height of my Major without the ginormous hopper is only 15 inches. A mini-hopper adds about 3 inches. The height of the SJ is probably an inch less. There may be reasons to prefer the CMH, but an argument based on grinder dimensions is pretty weak.
My actual measurements (taken from the Major on my kitchen counter) show that the "short" Mini hopper (versus the standard Mini hopper) adds 4.5" in height to the grinder. If you're using the hopper lid, which has a slightly raised profile in the center, then the total increases in height will be 4.75". The difference between 3" and 4.75" is insignificant for folks like me with no overhead cabinet clearance issues but can be crucial for others.

djmonkeyhater

#14: Post by djmonkeyhater »

Used Super Jolly grinders have a very, very flat depreciation curve. There can be precious few other items you will buy in your life that are like this. I think if i could have converted my 401k into a "USJ - Used Super Jolly" Fund over the last 18 months I would have.

Well chosen. Revel in the lack of plastic and ornamentation.

WES

michaelbenis

#15: Post by michaelbenis »

Great post!

So many of us are tempted to think that an incredibly sophisticated machine with multiple boilers, LEDs and microprocessor controls is going to give great espresso but skimp on "ugly" grinders which seem to be nothing more technologically exciting than two big metal plates and a motor dressed up like R2D2 (but can be hidden in broom cupboards, conservatories, etc).

In the same way we might get all fussed about the whizz-kid latest machinery but don't really search out the SOs that are actually suitable for great espresso (rather than just scoring high in conventional cupping or having SHB after their name).

Its the bean and the grinder that most influences what's in the cup.
LMWDP No. 237

darrensandford

#16: Post by darrensandford »

I was worried when I got my battered and bruised Major, complete with paint missing from every edge. I offered to paint it, but my wife said she preferred it in it's "distressed" state. I didn't argue :D

Compass Coffee

#17: Post by Compass Coffee »

And if you are diligent checking eBay and especially various Craigslist cities you can often do much better than $400 for a used SJ or Major. Past few years purchased 6 used SJ's and 2 Majors all under $300, one SJ for $100 even, and one Sj just today for a cool $60. So what if missing both lids and hopper broken, who cares at that price when the motor purrs like a kitten, upper carrier threads not stripped, lower burr rotation appeared level and even had the old on/off/start switch I look for! (Easily modified to normal on/off operation so can be plugged in Gralab timer)
Mike McGinness

JmanEspresso

#18: Post by JmanEspresso »

Oh yes, very possible indeed.

Personally, I think Criagslist has the best potential for the uber deals, but they surely can be found on Ebay as well.

Patience and website stalking is all that is needed.

But, if you dont feel like waiting/searching, IMO, $450 should be the max unless its in very nice condition/Newer model

strfish7

#19: Post by strfish7 »

Compass Coffee wrote:And if you are diligent checking eBay and especially various Craigslist cities you can often do much better than $400 for a used SJ or Major. Past few years purchased 6 used SJ's and 2 Majors all under $300, one SJ for $100 even, and one Sj just today for a cool $60. So what if missing both lids and hopper broken, who cares at that price when the motor purrs like a kitten, upper carrier threads not stripped, lower burr rotation appeared level and even had the old on/off/start switch I look for! (Easily modified to normal on/off operation so can be plugged in Gralab timer)
You must live in a completely different area of the country than I do...espresso here is relatively rare, and so are the deals on Craigslist.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by JohnB. »

Compass Coffee wrote:And if you are diligent checking eBay and especially various Craigslist cities you can often do much better than $400 for a used SJ or Major. Past few years purchased 6 used SJ's and 2 Majors all under $300, one SJ for $100 even, and one Sj just today for a cool $60. So what if missing both lids and hopper broken, who cares at that price when the motor purrs like a kitten, upper carrier threads not stripped, lower burr rotation appeared level and even had the old on/off/start switch I look for! (Easily modified to normal on/off operation so can be plugged in Gralab timer)
There are some good deals here in southern New England also. I paid $150 for one of my SJs a year ago & $175 for two Majors last May! Same modified switches on my Majors with one of them running off a Time-O-Lite timer I got off Ebay for $3.50.
LMWDP 267