Why isn't La Spaziale discussed more often? Especially Lucca A53?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cgibsong002

#1: Post by cgibsong002 »

I've had my eye set on the Profitec pro 600 for quite a while now, but also keep coming back to the La Spaziale line, particularly Clive's A53. I'm really confused why there's so little info and discussion out there on the La Spaziale lineup. Seems to be really unique feature set for that low $2000 price range. In general there isn't a ton in this price range until you get up near the $3k mark.

I'm struggling to figure out what's "wrong" with them. Great reviews, build design seems well thought out, volumetric dosing, preinfusion, plummable, dual boilers with pid, saturated group head. The only thing that really bothers me is lack of shot timer, but volumetric maybe makes up for that.

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing that makes these not very attractive to most home users?

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by walr00s »

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. An HB team member gave what I would call a glowing review to the Vivaldi II. You'll hear a lot of people around here pushing people towards the La Spaziale machines instead of comparably priced E61 HX machines and for what seems to be very good reasons. The reason it doesn't get as much buzz is probably because for ~700-1k less you can have a BDB that can do all the same stuff and more, and for ~700-1k more you can get a Decent, which is more or less the pinnacle of home-espresso nerdom. Their line is just an awkward place in the market.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I loved love my Vivadli S1. Son has it now. Great machine. What is custom about the Clive machine. I would highly recommend one.

The Decent has too much tech for some and the BDB requires modifications that some don't want to do. My S1 ran like a marathoner for a decade.

Only a big retirement gift to myself got me to part with it.--------->
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

maxbmello

#4: Post by maxbmello »

I think they don't get too much buzz because the design has been around for quite a while (10+ years) without too many updates. The 53mm ports filter is also a turnoff to some since there aren't as many accessories out there for this basket size. There still are accessories, but not as ubiquitous as 58.

I think you also have to buy a proprietary timer as opposed to just using a smart plug.

Other than that they are workhorse machines that actually have ETL certification so can be used in a light commercial capacity.

lessthanjoey

#5: Post by lessthanjoey »

I loved my La Spaz Mini Vivaldi II. I bought it before the BDB came out so it was by far the bang for buck champ in dual boilers at that point in time. I used it for more than 10 years until late last year when I picked-up a Decent. For what I want now I really really want significantly adjustable PI and pressure profiling to enhance light roast shots. I also love the data on the Decent, yada yada yada. Anyway!

I think the La Spaz is great - people have an attraction to shiny chrome machines (for better or worse), so machines like La Spaz and BDB (and to some degree Decent) are often discounted (preference-wise) vs a preference for E61 aesthetics. Decent makes that up by having a ton of capability nothing else has, and BDB makes that up by being an incredible value. La Spaz is in the middle, and can't be (easily) modded for flow control (although some people have tried some things there).

I think it's a great option if you really don't want a BDB, don't have the desire or budget for a Decent, and aren't set on E61 aesthetics.

Kran

#6: Post by Kran »

I actually just picked up a Mini Vivaldi II as an upgrade from a HX (flow control, grouphead thermometer etc.). Would've loved a Vivaldi II run on a flojet but I was upgrading on a somewhat limited budget.

I have absolutely no complaints. Espresso tastes great, I don't worry about temp, and the new timer module that costs ~$50 got me past the one semi hesitation I had. Going from a 58mm to the smaller 53mm group made me realize how many accessories I had accumulated over the years. The only accessories I felt a need to get were a tamper and a cafelat bottomless portafilter (also had one for my HX and will never go back).

With the Mini Vivaldi I just enjoy making my espressos and call it a day. Unless the machine bites it due to some form of user error or malfunction I can't see myself getting another espresso machine other than a large spring lever, since I've never had the chance to use one.

pcdawson

#7: Post by pcdawson »

I would echo everything said here. I owned an S1 Vivaldi for many years before moving to a lever. Great machine. The S1 Cafe was THE source of info back then, but I think it's now just archived posts. As for the design of the machine, " If it ain't broke don't fix it".

GregoryJ

#8: Post by GregoryJ »

I agree with others, that the looks and not being changed for many years might turn away many people. Also, the 53mm portafilter probably scares some people away, but supposedly they use that design because it's more forgiving. It also has pretty low clearance, so a lot of cups may not fit under the spouted portafilter. This is not to bash it, I think they look like great, robust machines.
maxbmello wrote: I think you also have to buy a proprietary timer as opposed to just using a smart plug.
They actually recently introduced a $50 dongle that will turn the machine on as soon as it receives power, and you can use a wifi smart outlet with it. $50 is still a bit for a dongle, but way better than the $200 timer!

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

Another big thumbs up for the Spaz. I've had Vivaldi's for over a decade (S1V1 followed by S1V2). It's still an excellent machine, especially for traditional espresso blends. I've got a DE1 (which is an amazing device), but my wife would kill me if I sold the Vivaldi. :shock:
John

katkat

#10: Post by katkat »

pcdawson wrote:I would echo everything said here. I owned an S1 Vivaldi for many years before moving to a lever. Great machine. The S1 Cafe was THE source of info back then, but I think it's now just archived posts. As for the design of the machine, " If it ain't broke don't fix it".
+1 fan and also a fan of S1 Cafe :-)
See Why I still love my La Spaz Mini Vivaldi after 9 years - now my La Spaz is ~11 year old and still going strong!