Why are prosumer espresso machines so much more expensive than entry level ones?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
exidrion

#1: Post by exidrion »

My pandemic hobby turned out to be an increasing interest in espresso, and has such I've done a lot more research and video watching about the topic. I currently use a Breville Oracle (at least I would be if it weren't out for repair because of my own foolishness) and a separate Eureka grinder. One thing I don't really understand is why prosumer stuff from ECM, Rocket, La Marzocco etc etc are so much more expensive than say my machine or even a Dual Boiler. They have many of the same features: 2 boilers, PID, Preinfusion, a shot timer, integrated grouphead, etc. Is it quality of parts? The rotary pump? The brand name? E61 grouphead?

What justifies the leap in price? I won't say that I haven't had an inkling of upgraditis as I get deeper down the rabbit hole. I'm not some Breville loyalist I just really don't get what makes these brands so much more expensive hahaha. One thing I did notice was that while I was waiting to hear from Breville about my initial repair process I phoned around to the espresso shops in town and they all told me to just send it to Breville without me even mentioning the nature of my problem so maybe that's something.

Fill me in!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Breville is a large company mass-producing consumer appliances.

Prosumer companies are typically small enterprises making machines by hand, sourcing parts from other small companies, etc.

In other words, economies of scale.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
MPantani

#3: Post by MPantani »

exidrion wrote:One thing I don't really understand is why prosumer stuff from ECM, Rocket, La Marzocco etc etc are so much more expensive than say my machine or even a Dual Boiler. They have many of the same features: 2 boilers, PID, Preinfusion, a shot timer, integrated grouphead, etc. Is it quality of parts? The rotary pump? The brand name? E61 grouphead?

Yes.

Auctor

#4: Post by Auctor »

My original plan, years ago, was to purchase a BDB. When I finally got into purchase mode this past Summer, I did some homework and felt good that either a BDB ($1500) or an Oracle ($2000) was the right play. But before I pulled the trigger, I really wanted to understand some of the differences between the BDB and the many machines priced well above $1500.

To me, it came down to my drink needs, my ability to grow with the machine, my desire to keep the machine for a decade, and my aversion to repairs (I am not a gear head, and I don't really want to be). My logic was as follows:

$1500 - BDB price

+ rotary pump (quiet and long lasting)
+ large steam boiler with 2 Bars (faster steaming, more drinks)
+ preinfusion (this turned out to be bust - I got this wrong)
+ dual PID for both boilers (temp control and visibility)
+ flow control ("future-proofing" to some extent)
+ 3 year Commercial warranty
+ aesthetics (looks amazing, metal, polished, no plastic)
+ strong brand reputation, limited repair history
+ plumbable ("future-proofing")

= (my choice) ECM Synchronika

In the end, I felt like there was much more offered at the higher price points (if the features listed above are important to you). Did I get a great deal? Probably not given the pandemic and massive demand for espresso machines, but I didn't overpay by much in my estimation. And I think I have a machine that, in 5 years, will remain more valuable, feature rich, and sturdy than a 5 year old BDB.

PS - There are plenty of competitors in this space at this price point, so I am not trying to sell ECM here, and If you can live without some of these features, there are many machines in the $1800-$2500 price point that I think are very compelling products, and plenty more above this price point that have even more to offer.