Which version of HG-1 would you buy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Brother_Bluto

#1: Post by Brother_Bluto »

I've made up my mind that a hand grinder best fits my single dosing work stream. I've settled on an HG-1 and am currently on LWW's wait list. I have seen several used one come up for sale... any where from the 2012 version through 2017 (LWW says the 2017 is what they are currently shipping). I know there are some basic differences in ability to make adjustments across the version, early models were stepless and had an option for smaller burrs, reference dots or numbers on the burr colar, TiN burrs versus non, etc. Buying used would be preferred, given the break-in time and a (slight) cost savings... but don't come up that often and are snapped up quick when they do.

For those that know and have used the HG-1, is there a "best" version to look for? Or just take it that each version had slight improvements and shoot for a 2017? Or maybe put a different way... is there a version to pass on given issues, etc?

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgwolf »

This isn't exactly your question, but if you like lighter roasts, I would avoid a hand-grinder. Light roasts are quite hard to grind, even on an HG-1. I found even medium roasts to frequently be a challenge.

leozava
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by leozava »

This doesn't really help answer your question but I have a 2017 model and love it and highly recommend it. As far as being hard to grind, I don't find that at all and neither does my girlfriend. I also do not have an able mat under it, this is supposed to make grinding significantly easier

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso replying to leozava »

I have a 2017 and while not hard to grind it can be a challenge to do so at a consistent speed throughout the grind with medium to lighter roasts. (I hear the same about the able mat but don't have one either)

HG-1 grind speed

If you have the chance to try before you buy, it would be ideal.
LMWDP #580

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

LBIespresso wrote:
If you have the chance to try before you buy, it would be ideal.
Here is their order map. https://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/basics/order-map/
LMWDP #580

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#6: Post by mivanitsky »

Anything but the first model, as it is not easily alignable.

83mm TiN coated burrs.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by RockyIII »

Using a sticky mat under the HG-1 works great and makes a huge difference when using the grinder. I think LWW should include one with every grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenura-75375-000 ... B00852K3ES

Rocky

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

mivanitsky wrote:Anything but the first model, as it is not easily alignable.

83mm TiN coated burrs.
You probably mean the second model. The first model (completely stepless with the locking screw) could be aligned with shims. I owned one for 4,5 years and aligned it perfectly. It was a perfect grinder. The version after that couldn't be aligned afterwards.

Brother_Bluto (original poster)

#9: Post by Brother_Bluto (original poster) »

Thanks all - I do appreciate the input!

JonF

#10: Post by JonF »

Greetings! I'm on their wait list too . . . they do not seem to be in a hurry! :wink: