Which version of HG-1 would you buy? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ferrariandcoffee

#11: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

I own this HG-1 ... and was wondering if it is actually adjustable ? And if so, how do I go about it? I have found next to no documentation or much posts about it either

I also ordered a set of Funnel Wiper attachments ... they come in a set of 3 and sell for $20 but I paid $12 for shipping :/ couldn't they just make them out of metal or some other stronger material... I sure hope I won't have to change them too often.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#12: Post by mivanitsky »

The 2012 model can only be aligned with shims. Subsequent models can be alignes at the burr carrier, but can also be shimmed if necessary. This is pretty uncommon, as after the first model, LWW paid greater attention to the alignment of the box and driveshaft. The end result can be equally good with either model, but the new ones make it easier. It's not as precise a Monolith Conical, but there is little difference in the cup, when the grinder is very well aligned.

Also, if you plan to do light roasts, you want the TiN coated burrs. They are easier to turn under load.

Advertisement
Ferrariandcoffee

#13: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Anyone have any useful links on performing alignment the right way using shims? Most info is on the newer models unfortunately

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 »

You need to contact LWW and ask for some shims. The had precut ones that fit perfectly. I aligned mine and it was perfect after that. I just takes some time as it's kind of hit and miss so take your time.

Ferrariandcoffee

#15: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Erik, how and what did you have to align? The bolted gearbox area or bottom burr holder?

I read somewhere where people just used foil to do it... not sure if that's the way to go about it but maybe I can buy shims somewhere as I haven't been able to get any replies from Lynweber email for a little while now.

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

The shims where cut for 3 different positions (2 different shapes), one for the burr carrier and one for the top and bottom of the gearbox. All shims where 0.1mm thick. Just try sending them an email again as those precut shims are really great for doing the job right. I've contacted them 1,5 weeks ago for some information but they do indeed seem to be non-responsive.