Which, If Any, Of These Three Tampers?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SEMIJim

#1: Post by SEMIJim »

I'm coming to the conclusion that, better than a distribution tool and better than a WDT tool + distribution tool, is a WDT tool + traditional tamper. But the tamper that came with my the Bambino Plus is small and light. I'm thinking I want something with a bit more heft to it.

I've narrowed it down to the following three candidates on Amazon and cannot come to a decision:
  1. Omgogo Coffee Tamper 53mm
  2. LuxHaus 53mm Espresso Tamper
  3. Motta 8140/M Professional Flat Base Coffee Tamper, 53mm
To me, the major advantages of each, compared to the others, are:
  • #1 - Its price
  • #2 - Its size (I have large hands), average rating, & number of reviews
  • #3 - Its aesthetics & being made in Italy
Which of the three would you choose, if any, and why?

Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I might choose the Motta Tamper as the wood might feel, 'softer' in my hand. It looks more ergonomically designed and might have a shorter handle that I would also prefer.

Motta has been around for a long time and makes excellent products. I would also definitely recommend an adjustable Distribution Leveller Tool as well. I've found that it made a big difference in puck prep with a lot less spritzing when using a naked portafilter. That also means a lot less cleaning up of the machine too!

It's all very subjective; there's no running off the road into a ditch here.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

If a plain tamper, I like my fingertips on the top edge of the tamper base so I can feel the basket rim and know that I've tamped squarely. It would come down to feel between them. One of my favorite tampers is a relatively cheap one I bought probably over 15 years ago. It just is the right height for my fingers and is a reasonable weight, not overly light or heavy. At least for Amazon Prime members, there's "free returns" on the first two.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sweaner »

They will all work the same. I like the Motta for the wood.
Scott
LMWDP #248

SEMIJim (original poster)

#5: Post by SEMIJim (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I would also definitely recommend an adjustable Distribution Leveller Tool as well. I've found that it made a big difference in puck prep ...
As I noted in my OP: I have one. I'm not certain it's doing anything for me that I'm not achieving with my WDT tool & regular tamping. I suppose I'll have to eventually break down and acquire a bottomless PF to find out for sure, though.
sweaner wrote:I like the Motta for the wood.
Yes, I like that and the fact it's made in Italy, rather than China. The Motta is the way I was leaning before. Now I'm leaning even more strongly toward it.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate »

Personally I wouldn't want to go back to a non self leveling tamper. One less thing to worry about. I have a Kafatek Levtamp but there are others with similar designs.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

I agree with the value of a square-to-basket tamper. If budget permits, that would be my choice. With a lesser budget, it comes down to ergonomics on being able to tamp squarely and reliably. Having used all three, I didn't find enough value in a force-indicating ("calibrated") tamper over a plain tamper, unless it is also square-to-basket.

Some supposedly "calibrated" tampers put the spring in the wrong place and only increase the force that needs to be applied, rather that indicating how much is being applied to the puck.

jgood

#8: Post by jgood »

I am of the plain tamper school -- you learn to tamp level with a little attention. Of the one's you show I would probably pick the Motta, but I have no experience with either. I have a Cafelat, which has served me well. They make a 53mm but it's $48 according to Chris Coffee's website. EDIT: Cafelat store lists one for $35 - not sure what shipping costs.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by sweaner »

jgood wrote:I am of the plain tamper school -- you learn to tamp level with a little attention. Of the one's you show I would probably pick the Motta, but I have no experience with either. I have a Cafelat, which has served me well. They make a 53mm but it's $48 according to Chris Coffee's website.
I use an inexpensive leveling tool, then tamp. No need for a self-leveling tamper.

Here is one for the OP:
https://smile.amazon.com/Distributor-MA ... 170&sr=8-8
Scott
LMWDP #248

SEMIJim (original poster)

#10: Post by SEMIJim (original poster) »

PIXIllate wrote:Personally I wouldn't want to go back to a non self leveling tamper. One less thing to worry about. I have a Kafatek Levtamp but there are others with similar designs.
Thanks for the tip. I've looked at them. The concept is attractive, but I can't see spending that much for a tamper.
jgood wrote:I am of the plain tamper school -- you learn to tamp level with a little attention.
That's my expectation.
jgood wrote: I have a Cafelat, which has served me well. They make a 53mm but it's $48 according to Chris Coffee's website. EDIT: Cafelat store lists one for $35 - not sure what shipping costs.
Thanks for the lead. I looked. Doesn't appear to offer any advantages over the Motta, and it ships from Hong Kong.
sweaner wrote:I use an inexpensive leveling tool, then tamp. No need for a self-leveling tamper.

Here is one for the OP:
I have that exact leveling tool already, but thanks, anyway.