Which home grinder should I buy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Didactiko

#1: Post by Didactiko »

Hi folks,

This is Didac from Spain, Barcelona. New on the forum, this 2/2 part of purchasing a home espresso equipment (Already posted another ad a out buying an espresso machine).

Due to complete my order I'd like to ask your opinion, tips sugestions on buying a home espresso grinder.

There is no a closed budget, as well as on the machine but my range is bet 300-500€.

Prefer conical burrs but open to any. Mostly focused on espresso, I've been making a research since a few time n those are my buddies:

- Rancilio rocky (doserless)
- Mazzer mini/luigi
- Vario Home Mahlköning
- Baratza sette 270
- Niche zero
- Eureka Mignon Specialitá

Looking forward your feedback. Thanks in advance,

Didactiko

Howardsmith

#2: Post by Howardsmith »

I have had the following so will give u my pros and cons for them....

Mazzer Mini E (I added super jolly burrs)

Pros - it looks iconic, built like a tank.

Cons - larger that the other 2 which may be a con at home. Much larger retention if using the hopper. A bit of a faff to single dose. The programming is a PITA and not easy to quickly change in comparison to the mignon.

Mignon Specialita

Pros - nice a compact footprint, smallest of these 3. Super accurate timed dosing. Produced a nice mound of fluffy ground coffee that needs minimal re-distributuon although I would recommend a funnel and a WDT tool. This grinder is really easy to use, the LCD screen works well and times dosing is easy to change.

Cons - not ideal for single dosing but still not a bad single doser when comparing to the Mazzer.

Niche Zero

Pros - designed for single dosing. Obviously the best single doser out if the 3 here.

Cons - You may need to do more ground redistribution than you think if you plan to use the dosing cup on the portafilter. Requires WDT to ge the best pours.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Mazzer unless you grab a bargain (I got 2 and sold one to cover the cost of both so it cost me nothing).

If you plan to single dose both will work. The niche is obviously better here.

I'm not going to go into taste as its too subjective.

I had the mignon and ended up always single dosing it. This lead me to end up selling the mignon to swap it for a niche. Overall I am happy with the niche. I dont have the urge to mess with it like i did the Mazzer and the mignon. It just works and does what it is meant to do well. I do however sometimes miss the option to swap back to hopper dosing (which surprised me).

If you want a single doser get the niche. If you want the option to do a bit of both the mignon was also a great solid litte grinder IMO.
★ Helpful

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

being in Barcelona you may be able to get a used pro grinder from a coffee bar, mazzer super jolly for example, should not set you back more than 150-300 euro (depending on it's condition), whack in some new burrs and you're set for life (unless your coffee consumption is very high)
LMWDP #483
★ Helpful

Didactiko (original poster)

#4: Post by Didactiko (original poster) »

Thanks for your feedback Howardsmith, really helpful

#5: Post by Didactiko (original poster) »

Marcelnl i'll take a look to this other mazzer :wink:

Tj.

#6: Post by Tj. »

Edit: disregard this one. I forgot the Wilfa is not stepless and the steps are too large for espresso and obviously not a conical.

The Wilfa Uniform is often considered the best value in that range for home, you should add it to your list. It has the Mazzer burrs in it which can be upgrade to SSP if your heart desires.

eheffa

#7: Post by eheffa »

Didactiko wrote:Hi folks,

This is Didac from Spain, Barcelona. New on the forum, this 2/2 part of purchasing a home espresso equipment (Already posted another ad a out buying an espresso machine).

Due to complete my order I'd like to ask your opinion, tips sugestions on buying a home espresso grinder.

There is no a closed budget, as well as on the machine but my range is bet 300-500€.

Prefer conical burrs but open to any. Mostly focused on espresso, I've been making a research since a few time n those are my buddies:

- Rancilio rocky (doserless)
- Mazzer mini/luigi
- Vario Home Mahlköning
- Baratza sette 270
- Niche zero
- Eureka Mignon Specialitá

Looking forward your feedback. Thanks in advance,

Didactiko
Hi Didac,

I'm curious as to why you have not included any Compak grinders on your list?

They are made in your home town and might be a reasonable price there? When I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago comparing a few of the above grinders, I found the specs and features of the Compak to be quite compelling, even though they don't seem as popular.

I am no expert espresso barista but I wanted to move up to a flat burr grinder (from my Baratza Preciso) that would allow single dosing, with minimal retention, not exceed ~42 cm in height and hopefully last a good while. I considered finding a good used Mazzer Mini or Super Jolly to modify but ended up buying a Compak E5 OD and although I've had it only a week, I am quite pleased with it. I thought that it could work for single dosing or hopper feed with minimal modification and appeared to be designed for longevity. (I got it at $950 CAD or ~ 600€) So far it is living up to my hopes.

I note that Compak also makes a selection of conical grinders but maybe they are outside your budget?

Good luck in your search.

-evan

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

+1 for the Compak E-5. I think that would make an excellent choice.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

I used a Compak K10 WBC ("titan" conical) for close to a decade and, with a simple mod to the plastic outlet, it worked great for single dosing. If one comes up used, I think that would be a good choice as well.

#10: Post by Didactiko (original poster) »

You are abosuletly right Evan. In fact Compak grinders were one of my first choices due to quality-price plus they Barcelona brand based, but i'm not sure if one of those monsters could fit in my tiny kitchen xD