Which espresso machine is my end game?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Vincere

#1: Post by Vincere »

I drink 2-3 cortado and flat white per day and 1 espresso

I only drink medium to dark roast

Which would fit me best ?

LM GS3
Synesso Hydra
Prima Eagle 1
Slayer

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

There is no "end game"

I think the only one of those machines that existed* 15 years ago was the GS3, and it didn't have flow profiling back then. I can pretty much guarantee that 10 years from now, the "best" machine will be surpassed by several others, or will evolve under the same name.

Suggestion -- with "no machine yet" I'd buy something solid, easy to use, and mid-range like a Lelit Bianca / ECM / Profitec and decide if you want espresso as a hobby, or an espresso machine as a focal point of a coffee theater. In a year or two, if you decide you want something different, it should still have good resale value.

I can tell you which of those I'd buy from that list and which I'd sell immediately if given one. That's based on many years of experience and understanding how I approach espresso as a hobby. I couldn't have told you back when I was getting started.

* At least as a single-group machine

Ad-85

#3: Post by Ad-85 »

+1
Unless you chose a lever instead (I love levers).
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Given that you are in Quebec, there is only one possible end-game machine - the Lapera DS, fastidiously handcrafted in Montréal. www.lapera.ca

Just sayin' :mrgreen:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Vincere (original poster)

#5: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

Well I have a gaggia classic pro and I was about to pull the trigger on a linea mini cause I love the looks but I got into reading more and more about all the machines and now I'm really loving the hydra, slayer and GS3, I just looking for advice on which would fit me best for what I drink

PhilthyCoffee

#6: Post by PhilthyCoffee »

Yes.... This. I loved following the obvious craftsmanship throughout all the little things (and big things) highlighted through the development and process, until I saw the pricetag. I'd love to consider a $5kish version, but I would still come up more than 50% short of the pricetag.

Regardless, it sure seems to be a great piece of kit.

OP should buy 2, one for medium and one for dark roasts.

Capuchin Monk

#7: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Vincere wrote:Well I have a gaggia classic pro and I was about to pull the trigger on a linea mini cause I love the looks but I got into reading more and more about all the machines and now I'm really loving the hydra, slayer and GS3, I just looking for advice on which would fit me best for what I drink
Faema Faemina or Sanremo You maybe?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Vincere wrote:Well I have a gaggia classic pro and I was about to pull the trigger on a linea mini cause I love the looks but I got into reading more and more about all the machines and now I'm really loving the hydra, slayer and GS3, I just looking for advice on which would fit me best for what I drink
The Linea Mini is a great machine.

For your volume of shots, I don't see any need for a machine that can handle a large volume of customers, like the GS/3 AV or Hydra. In addition, with the Slayer, Hydra, and GS/3 MP, the most noticeable difference will come with light roasts. To be blunt, you'll be paying for flexibility that you may well not use.

Of course, if you like the look of a particular machine, then that's a different story. There are plenty of Slayers out there that were bought for looks and because they're the hot coffee appliance to have in rich people's kitchens. Keep in mind, however, that both the Slayer and Hydra need to be either plumbed in or run off a separate pump system.

The Eagle does look nice especially on a bar where the backlighting can be seen, but I don't know if I'd recomend one over a Linea Mini at this time.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#9: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

Thank you, this helps me a alot

#10: Post by Vincere (original poster) »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Faema Faemina or Sanremo You maybe?
I just looked at the sanremo You, it looks really promising, It's now in my top choice, I think I will wait for more information on the You before buying any of them

Thanks