Which coffee distributor tool would you recommend?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
romaen

Postby romaen » Jan 13, 2019, 4:31 pm

Hello!

I am looking for a coffee distributor for my 15g VST basket. Since it is the fastest to order them @amazon I found those two:

Which one would you recommend? Or would you recommend a different one?

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Jan 13, 2019, 10:07 pm

I have both types and find that they both work very well.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

romaen

Postby romaen » replying to sweaner » Jan 14, 2019, 1:19 am

Did you realise any difference?

sweaner

Postby sweaner » replying to romaen » Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 pm

I have not really noticed any significant differences.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

Neto

Postby Neto » Jan 16, 2019, 12:19 pm

I have the Motta 8350 distribution tool (made in italy) and its great. Heavy and seems to be built with quality materials

ncrc51

Postby ncrc51 » Jan 16, 2019, 12:37 pm

sweaner wrote:I have both types and find that they both work very well.

Agree with sweaner. I have both as well. I can tell no difference in function. I do feel that for me they improve shot consistency.

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Jan 16, 2019, 12:39 pm

I have the second one in your link and it works extremely well.

Spitz.me

Postby Spitz.me » Jan 16, 2019, 12:43 pm

ncrc51 wrote:Agree with sweaner. I have both as well. I can tell no difference in function. I do feel that for me they improve shot consistency.

I'd recommend none since my experience was that all I did was add something that was fairly fidgety to my process since it was sensitive to the height of my coffee bed. I found no discernible improvement to my prep or my performance. I returned my in under a week.

If you want one then great. I'm happy with a WDT tool.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

romaen

Postby romaen » Jan 16, 2019, 1:13 pm

Thanks for your replies!
I ordered the second one, and as soon as I tested it I am going to share my experience! :)

mauijer

Postby mauijer » Jan 17, 2019, 11:02 am

I purchased the St Anthony Industries Wedge for myself and bought the 2nd one in your link for a friend. Haven't compared head to head yet but we're both happy. The SAI one is pretty and heavy. Not sure if it makes a huge difference on flow or channeling compared with my finger sweep but it is more sanitary to watch by those requesting shots from me, also faster. FYI I still WDT first which flattens/distributes the espresso mound and then I use the tool. I find this mimicks my prior routine and gives a better result than if I just use the tool without WDT.