Which Chemex to choose

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Heemskerk

#1: Post by Heemskerk »

Hello coffee lovers,

Here is my situation. I am the only one in my house drinking coffee. I use to drink 2 cups in the morning and 1 or two cups in the afternoon.
There are only a few times I am making coffee for more than 2 or 3 people, when I have guests.

Right now I am using a Nespresso, but want to go for a chemex. Especially for that morning coffee. But not sure which one to buy, the 3 or the 6 cups.

The 6 cup is much nicer to look at and does not cost a lot of money money than the 3-cups. But is it possible/preferable to brew only 1 or 2 cups with the 6cup Chemex? Or will it cool to fast because the bottle is larger?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

CoffeeBar

#2: Post by CoffeeBar »

For one to two person, I will go for Three cup, as it is more easy to control the brewing process. I will not recommend if you brew your coffee with Six Cup unless you have at least 5 person. :D

Advertisement
Heemskerk (original poster)

#3: Post by Heemskerk (original poster) »

Thank you

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

You have a few options including Chemex, Hario V60, Gino Dripper and Kalita Wave just to mention a few.

If sticking with the Chemex and brewing for yourself I would suggest the smaller 3 cup as it will retain heat better for smaller volumes of coffee.

I have a 6 cup with the wooden collar and it's great for 2 large cups of coffee. Picture of my 6 cup in background.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Heemskerk (original poster)

#5: Post by Heemskerk (original poster) »

Thank you. I am aware of the other options. But the Chemex is just so beautiful

CoffeeBar

#6: Post by CoffeeBar »

redbone wrote:
If sticking with the Chemex and brewing for yourself I would suggest the smaller 3 cup as it will retain heat better for smaller volumes of coffee.

<image>
+1

CwD

#7: Post by CwD »

I like the 6 cup for just myself, and the 6 cup uses more available filters than the 3 cup.

Advertisement
TheCastanza

#8: Post by TheCastanza »

I originally bought the 3 cup but was disappointed with how much coffee it made at a time. Keep in mind that "3 cup" is likely not 3 actual cups of coffee people (at least Americans) drink. For me, the six cup is better suited to brewing 2 big-ish mugs of coffee. For three mugs, I would certainly need the 6 cup.

one1speed

#9: Post by one1speed »

We have the six-cup and I have often used it for myself, and it's more versatile if someone swings by. I really don't think it's too much for a couple of cups. I simply preheat by doing the initial rinse of the filter, then wrap in a towel with something on top to keep warm if it sits for a short bit (with the filter removed). Very easy. We have other methods as well, but have had a Chemex for many years and feel it makes coffee as good as any other options, and better than our Technivorm.

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

You can make 3 cups with the 6-cup, not the other way around. I use a 6-cup to make 3 every morning.

Check ebay for a used one from the 70s. They were hand-blown glass back then, the same as the hand-blown ones that sell today for $100. I got mine for $25.